Chapter 12

Samuel and I had been walking down a somewhat busy street towards the city centre when I saw a familiar mop of brown hair. When I realised who it was I couldn't help but drop the shopping bag in my hand.

Is it better to pretend not to know them? Or should I acknowledge them with a wave? Do I go up to and talk to them?

Just a few steps in front of us were none other then Alec and Ben, who stood frozen in casual dress, with ice creams in hand and gaping mouths as they seemed to have seen me too.

I mean, what kind of relationship do we have now? Do you carry on speaking to the guys who imprisoned you? We did have some good times though and I do kind of miss listening to them talking from beyond the door.

"...Hey guys." I waved stiffly, approaching them much like you would a timid animal.

"Cough, cough. Hey Autumn." Alec spluttered out moving the ice cream away from his mouth as Ben waved back just as stiffly.

"Who would've thought we would meet each other so soon? Haha." I laughed awkwardly.

"Haha." They responded as us three cringed where we stood.

This kind of awkwardness, it's unbearable. And it's only been two days, I should've ignored them.

"Who's he?" Ben asked narrowing his eyes at Samuel who was standing behind me, almost hidden.

"Ahem, he's Samuel." I coughed as I stood aside to reveal the rest of him.

"Alec." Alec muttered as he shook Samuel's hand.

"Ben."

"Samuel." Then we stood in silence for a minute, letting the awkward marinate.

"How comes you're not working?" I finally asked with a lot of effort.

"Luther gave us a week off." Alec replied as Ben stared at Samuel some more.

"Are they your friends?" Samuel asked with a friendly smile.

"Eeh... Well... Ehh." My response was mingling with Alec's 'I guess so' and Ben's 'Ehh I don't know about that~'.

"Would you like to join us? We were just going to get something to eat." Samuel offered, obviously completely oblivious to the atmosphere.

With his eyes Ben tried signalling to Alec to signal to me that we should leave this awkward reunion where it stood at the moment. While I tried to signal to Alec to signal to Ben that they should make an excuse to leave. Then Alec tried and failed to decipher what these looks meant, giving up on speaking with my eyes I tried mouthing it to him.

'Did you get that?' I mouthed silently.

"Yes." He said giving me a thumbs up, but before I could congratulate him back Samuel spoke up.

"That's great, the place is quite close by." Ben and I face palmed as a flustered Alec tried to stutter out a refusal.

"I need to go to the bathroom for a sec." Ben stood up suddenly breaking the silence that had settled around us while Samuel went to order the food.

"S-sure."

Why is this infinitely more awkward then when I was locked up? Is this what a normal kidnapper-kidnappee relationship is like? If it is I never want to get kidnapped again! Where is this trail of thought leading to? Did I think being kidnapped was fun before this?