Sick Sense

Back at her apartment Match sat in her bed with her back against the wall. The sun had set while she had been thinking.
She tapped a pen to her 'chin' in thought. 

Matty had said that Match was 'making it worse', but what was 'it'? Was she talking about the sudden death of the nest? Had somebody shot the nest? It was unlikely. Match had looked the nest over and didn't see any damage. There would've been an entry and an exit wound but there were none. 

Matty had suggested that the nest had eaten too much fish, but objects could only die from overeating when they actually burst.
To eat so much that there wasn't any room left, and they stuff they were packing pushed at the very seams of the object until it ripped through. The nest would've had fish falling out of her mouth if she had died from overeating, but if that wasn't the case then why did she die? 

It didn't make any sense, but it seemed she had died because she called Matty a liar. The timing seemed perfect for it. 

But what was Matty trying to say about what the nest was doing? Did they know one another? Matty definitely seemed to know something about the nest, but it was hard for her to say anything, and Match doubted she'd ever be willing to talk with her after this. Match needed to give the welcome mat some space, but in the meantime Match didn't have any leads. 

She sighed. 
There wasn't much else she could do. This didn't seem to fit in very well with her whole 'the police did something wrong and Matty can't tell'. 

Or maybe it did..
Maybe the police had figured out a way to keep people quiet about whatever it was, and if anyone talked about it they would be stopped and suddenly die. That meant that Matty wasn't the only one who knew about it. The nest must've known about whatever it was too. 

Match didn't like thinking about that possibility, but it made sense as terrible as it was. It must've been something horrid the police had done in order to create a way to kill people like that. Why even go through with the efforts of making something like that otherwise? Was it remote? Was somebody always watching nearby? This was getting more and more freaky. 

She would have to find another lead at some point, but for now all she could do was wait for the full case documents in the mail. 

She rolled off her bed and walked up to her cabinet. As she was on her way the whole world got heavy. She was having a dizzy spell and it hit her hard. She walked into the wall and held herself there. She took a moment to breathe. 
Match looked into the window and, startled, fell into the wall more. She looked at the window again. It was just her reflection. She sighed.

When the spell was over she got to her cabinet and sat in a chair in front of it. She pulled out a drawer and took out a laptop. Opening it she saw an old email from Pencil from about a week ago. She had already checked it, but with nothing else to do she decided it would be a good idea to email Pencil again especially sinc…

Match felt hot, like a steamed towel at a spa. Hot and slow. She opened her mouth to let out some of the heat. Breathe in and out. 

Now, about the email.

"Heya Pence Pence. It's been a while so I just wanted to give you an update. I'm in Boinks for the first time in a million years. A lot has changed obviously, so it's practically a whole new city. I'm investigating this high conspiracy type case that at first I just thought was about torture or something.

Now I don't have a conclusion yet, but I think the entire police department here might be corrupt, and hiding something. I don't have a lot of leads and if it stays that way I'll probably be back within a week. I was only given like three dollars to do this case anyway, but it's really interesting and I don't want to give up until I know that I've done all I can.