Birthday | Platonic Intruality

summary: the dark sides don't usually celebrate birthdays but remus becomes interested in the idea. he decides to celebrate janus' birthday but since he's never done it before, he requests the help of a light side

word count: 736

cheese loiuse dood, college classes are finally calming down, this friday is gonna be my last day thank gosh, might screw around and make a video about my college experience :)

tw// anxious thoughts (mentioned but not in detail :)), fluff

~~~~

Remus grinned as he set a trap for his brother in his own room. He overheard laughter from the common room. He furrowed his eyebrows and curiously crept in to see the four sides celebrating something. 'But what?' It wasn't Christmas yet and Thanksgiving had already passed. A banner hung on the wall that read 'Happy birthday, Virgil!' He tilted his head and sunk down into the dark side of the mindscape.

"Janus?" Said boy looked up from his book to see a confused Remus in front of him. "Are we supposed to celebrate our birthdays?" Janus thought for a moment, "I...don't know. I suppose we can, if you'd like to." Remus shrugged. "Well, I don't know. Why haven't we done that before?" Janus sighed. "A lot of drama occurred between us and the light sides during Thomas' development. They never really invited us to participate in a lot of their parties. Why are you bringing this up now?"

Remus bit his lip and looked at his hands, "They were celebrating Virgil's birthday. I guess I was just curious." Janus sat up. "Well, if you really want, we can try doing something for our birthdays. Mine's not for another couple of months but it's sooner than yours, you wanna try it then?" Remus seemed to brighten up at the idea and nodded before heading to his room.

~~~~

Remus hesitated but forced himself to knock on Patton's door. He knew he wasn't exactly liked or wanted by any of the other sides but he knew Patton was still kind enough to not kick him out immediately. "Yes- oh, Remus? What are you doing here?" Remus shoved his nerves down and clasped his hands together, "Can I talk to you for a little bit?" Patton warily nodded and let him in. "I-I know you don't trust me and you probably think I'm here to do something bad but I'm not. I need your help with something."

Patton felt slightly guilty as he was thinking that exactly, but the boy seemed really desperate for whatever he needed. He wasn't even wearing his usual menacing outfit, just his rat onesie. "We don't really celebrate birthdays in the dark mindscape. We don't celebrate anything except for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween. But I saw you guys with Virgil about month ago, and Janus said it was okay if I wanted to do it. His birthday's in a week but I have no idea what I'm doing."

Patton furrowed his eyebrows, "You want me to help plan a birthday party for Janus?" Remus didn't respond, instead focusing on the anxious thoughts echoing in his head about what Patton must be thinking of him. "O-Okay, I'll help you." Remus' eyes widened and he looked up to the light side, who was awkwardly smiling.

~~~~

"Okay, does this look okay?" Remus asked Patton, who looked at the decorations. They were certainly...different from what he would've chosen but he smiled nonetheless and nodded. "You did great, Remus. I hope Janus likes it." Remus sighed, "I hope so too." Patton checked the time, "Well, I should get going. I guess I'll talk to you later, Remus." "Wait! Uh, I mean- um, thank you, Patton. For helping me." Patton smiled and sunk down.

"Greetings, Patton. Where have you been off to?" Logan asked as Patton rose up. Patton shook his head. "Nowhere. But I still have some time to make pancakes before Virgil and Roman wake up." He quickly got work, he always made special pancakes for each of the sides, well the light sides. After spending the week with Remus, he decided to make some for Remus and Janus as well.

~~~~

Janus was very happy with the small snake decorations Remus set up. He decided not to do much since it was just the two of them. Currently, Janus was excitedly reading the book Remus got him that was about snake species and their individual diets. It caught Remus' eye with the pictures of snakes eating the animals but Janus seemed to genuinely like it.

Remus entered the kitchen to make some breakfast but spotted two plates of pancakes. 'Made with love for the birthday boy and his best friend :)' One was made to look yellow with small blueberries cut up into it, looking like scales; the other was dyed green with strawberries inside, looking like injuries in Remus' opinion.

He smiled, "Thanks, Pat."

~~~~

this was supposed to be shorter since it's tuesday but i got carried away. i hope you enjoyed, stay safe, love you all, buh bye!

6/23/20