Chapter 9 - Undyne

The faint sound of shuffling could be heard from Blue, ever so quiet that Gwen almost didn't hear it. His wrist was looking better, but if he thought she hadn't noticed it, he was sorely mistaken.

She could remember Cooper's voice from before she entered the room, he really didn't belive it was Blue. Was it innocent? Maybe, maybe not. But she didn't have any definite evidence to narrow down the killer in the slightest. It could be any three. They all were locked up, they all had motive. It could be anyone's guess, really.

"So Undyne and Alphys?" Gwen asked, "They were also from your universe?"

"Yeah," Blue explained, "But from my universe they were different, they had swapped personalities. Everyone from my universe did, apparently."

"So Undyne was the hostage, she had been help captive as well?" Gwen asked. "What happened to cause her death?"

Blue sunk behind the table, averting her gaze. He really didn't want to help her, did he?

"Blue, you have to talk to me," Gwen said, "I'm not asking about who killed Papyrus, I'm asking why she died. What happened?"

Another moment of silence. Gwen was about to call it over before Blue finally rose his voice.

"It... it was my fault, I screwed everything up," Blue admitted quietly, "She had helped us escape, but she... she died because of it. Because of me."

"How?" Gwen asked.

~~~~~~

Blue was the only one out of the group who didn't come to dread the sound of the door opening. Everyone else was afraid, upset, angry over being kidnapped by Papyrus. And sure, while Blue had felt that, he still had hope. Everytime Papyrus opened those doors, it was hope that maybe, just maybe, he would let them out.

At first, it was like that. After they moved houses, Blue had lost that hope. Papyrus was never going to let them go, not unless he was gone.

Everyone else had audibly groaned when they heard the footsteps approaching, retreating into their respective corners. It was pretty odd how each corner of the room was taken, but Papyrus didn't really complain. He never complained, which was rather frightening.

"I hope he doesn't f*cking dare try to feed me that sh*t again," One of the others said.

Blue barely paid attention to him, looking at the door. Maybe Papyrus came to his senses, and was coming to return them to their home. Not likely, but there was the possibility!

Then Blue noticed the way the footsteps were. They were more lighter, more in a rush. Doors could be heard thudding open from time to time, growing closer.

"I don't think that's Papyrus," Sans had said.

Sans barely had managed to finish that statement before the door to their room was bursting open, revealing a sight Blue never expected to see. There stood Undyne, her red hair thrown about wildly with a frantic look in her eyes. She soon zoned in of them, blood dribbling down from her right wrist.

"Undyne?" Everyone asked, perking up.

"I- Sans? You're, you..." Undyne whispered, looking at Sans.

"I'm uh, I'm not from your universe," Sans said, "We all know the original Sans from this one died."

Blue nodded slowly at the truth. Papyrus had been so dismissive about it when he had told them, as if his brother didn't die. He had been kept in this same room, he had been kidnapped just like them.

Papyrus didn't really bother to hide it from them when Red had found the blood. His brother, the original one from this universe, had said he would go with Papyrus if Papyrus didn't hurt any of his friends. They had escaped to the surface, Papyrus had taken his brother to this cabin. In the end, the old Sans couldn't handle it, and dusted himself right where the new Sans, classic Sans, was.

How long would they be trapped here before they became dust? Before death was the better option?

"Listen, I-I don't have much time to- f*ck," Undyne muttered, feeling around her pockets before she pulled out a small brass key, stumbling over to Blue. "I know you aren't my Sans, none of you are, and I'm sorry about all of this. I managed to snag this, you guys can use it to get out. Not now, though. He's going to be back soon, and-"

Undyne stopped at the sound of the front door opening, making her look back with wide eyes.

"I- What about you Undyne?" Blue asked.

Just a little too loudly.

Blue had stayed up countless nights after that, staring at where Undyne had been when she had first escaped. Everyone else had understood, they knew to keep quiet. Undyne could have sneaked out down the hall, she could have tried to get out. Get past the forest. Get help. Be alive.

How come he didn't understand?

Blue could remember his gross sobbing and screaming as Undyne had been dragged away, the way the chains dug into his foot as he tried to press further than it extended, trying to chase after them.

Yet all he could do was sit there through the screams and cries of everyone else, clutching the key in his hand as Undyne was dusted in the other room. They could hear it, hear her dust hit the floor. Then Papyrus had returned, not bothering to even wipe the blood or dust off of his body.

"I'M BACK, YOU SILLY BONES!" Papyrus said, "SORRY ABOUT THAT, SHE'S GONE NOW. IT'S JUST US AGAIN!"

~~~~~~

Gwen clutched at her papers, avoiding his gaze. Blue stared right back at her, seeming more strong against the memories than Gwen was.

How could he...?

In all of her time being a law enforcing officer, she had never seen this. Never seen anyone so insane. That was what a true murderer looked like, which had only been seen so few times. Blue had been kidnapped by someone like that, and he lived.

It was honorable, really. But if he was the murderer, it wouldn't matter.

For the second time in her life, Gwen didn't want to send a murderer to the chair, not from this case.

"Billy- I mean, Blue," She said, "I-"

"Who's Billy?"

It was almost as if the interrogation had been flipped, the lights now focusing on her from above. Blue watched her, waiting for her response. Gwen felt her soul twist in on itself, trying to hide away with the guilt and shame she constantly suppressed.

"This isn't- So that was the key to your chains?" Gwen changed the subject, trying to focus on her job.

Emotions were a lie, she was doing her job. She couldn't become derailed, not now.

If it was Sans or Red on the other side of the table, they probably wouldn't have dropped it. They would have continued to press on, they were like that. Thankfully, Blue was nicer than them, and was a bit of a pushover. He believed Papyrus could of been a good person, he had no strength compared to the other-

"You called me Billy," Blue repeated, "Who is Billy?"

Gwen stared at him for a moment, her green eyes wavering slightly. The memories were harshly brought up without her consent, one after one pelting her soul until she was standing up.

"Enough questions," Gwen said.

"What?" Blue asked, "Where are you?"

"Enough questions, we're done," Gwen said stubbornly, quickly retreating out of the cold room.

This time, it was Blue who stayed strong, and Gwen who had cracked down under the pressure of this case, running away into the dark hallway.