Chapter Three: Antipathy.

Aiden's Point of View: 

I felt my mom caress my hair to wake me up and smiled as I turned my body around to look at her with a yawn. My body ached from practice the last few days, and I was grateful it was Friday.

I learned that the guy who tackled me was a kid named Mike, and he seemed to have it out for me for some reason. I also saw him hanging out with Lake often, so I suppose it didn't take rocket science to know why he seemed to have it out for me. It was getting old though, because we were trying to prepare for a game a week from today and I was too busy fending off that asshole.

I told my mom good morning and made to get up, went into the shower before getting dressed, grabbing all my stuff and heading downstairs. I swiped some toast with a wave to both my parents and started the walk to school. I went to walk through the front doors and slammed into a hard body. He whipped around and I realized it was Lake.

He looked me up and down. I swear I saw a flash of lust before he switched to glaring at me. He told me to watch where I was going, in words I shouldn't say in polite company, so I shall save you that.

Huh. The look was interesting. I raised my brow and inched around him. I wondered if he might be gay, or even bisexual. I've been out since I was 14, and of course my parents were supportive as heck. I was just lucky that way. I had dated a couple boys back in New Jersey, but no real relationships. It was hard when they didn't want to really learn how to communicate with you.

I made it to my locker, swapped out some books and made it to my first class.

The day was long, probably because it was Friday, and I was ready for practice. Easily the best part of my day. Like I said I'd been dealing with asshole, but some other teammates had been great, and some were even learning how to best work with me. I slammed my bag down in the locker room, quickly changed, and made my way out to the field.

Coach called us all together "Okay boys. We know who were playing against in one week. Now is the time to work together, to focus, and make ourselves the best we can be. Aiden I would like you to be goalie today as ours is out." I nodded. It didn't phase me. I had practiced long and hard for almost all positions, so floating around wasn't a big deal.

We broke and I ran out to the goal.

The next hour consisted of me blocking power kicks from Mike, Lake, and a couple other of their friends. I really didn't understand what their big problem was, but I wasn't much interested in their drama. I stayed focused. Until I missed the ball barreling for my head.

I felt the impact right on my temple and flew off my feet.

I must have passed out because I started blinking and saw the coach's face floating above me, looking a bit concerned. I looked behind him and saw Lake standing there. Almost looking guilty.

I sat up in a bit of a daze and saw coach swing around and start yelling at Lake. At least, I thought it was yelling because his hands started flying around like when he was pissed about us not being able to execute a scrimmage. He swung around again pointing at me.

Lake's Point of View:

Well. Shit. I didn't quite mean to peg him in the head. I lost control of the ball a bit there as I kicked and of course he couldn't hear me yell at him to duck. Which I only remembered about a second after I yelled it. I saw Coach look our way and winced as the ball pegged Aiden right in the temple.

He went down like a sack of potatoes and Coach started running. Fuck. I would be in for it now.

Coach made it to his side with me behind him. Aiden must have passed out because he slowly opened his eyes and looked up at Coach. He then looked behind at me and I kind of winced. I really hadn't meant to hurt him.

Coach swung around "You are supposed to be the captain of this team Lake. The fucking captain. I've seen the way you guys have been treating him this week, and I thought, this is just some macho bullshit that they must work through because of a new team member. But this is next level, and abso-fucking-lutely unacceptable."

He swung around to point at Aiden "You get to take him to the office and stay there to explain to his mother why he had to go to the nurse aids office. Do you hear me? You're also done for today, and when you show up on Monday you better be the captain, I know you can be. This ends now. DO YOU HEAR ME?"

I nodded.

"Good. Help him up and take him while I call his mom and explain he probably has to go to the hospital."

I looked around and the team was standing around, some looking away. Great. A public shaming. Always felt nice. I made my way to Aiden as he stared at me. I leaned down to help him up and he slapped my hand away and struggled up himself.

Okay then. Guess I couldn't blame him. I motioned him to follow me and led him to the main office and the nurse aids office.

She looked up at us "What happened here Lake?"

"He got hit in the temple with a soccer ball. That was going kind of fast."

She raised her eyebrow at me and sighed before looking at Aiden, who seemed a bit dazed "Alright, come here dear. Dear?"

I remembered "Oh, he's deaf. Sorry." I waved in his direction and he snapped his eyes my way. I motioned to the nurse and he looked at me with a scowl, and then her before following her hand to the bed.

He laid down and I took a seat as she fussed over him. Damn. I did not need this today. I also really hoped Coach wouldn't call my dad because that was definitely something I didn't need. The nurse finished up with him and he closed his eyes. He really was more attractive than I wanted him to be. His black hair, amber brown eyes, even his jawline. The last thing I wanted was to be attracted to this kid. I had known I was gay for years, but I wasn't out and didn't plan to be until I could leave this shithole of a place and go far away for college. I looked away and stared at the wall so he wouldn't catch me looking.

A few minutes later a whirlwind of a human being flew into the office.

"Where is my son?!" she demanded before looking over and seeing him. She rushed over to his side and ran her hands through his hair. He opened his eyes and sat up.

"Aiden, what the hell happened?"

I cleared my throat and she looked at me "Uhm. Well. I was kicking a ball into the goal and it...kind of...hit him in the temple."

She stared at me for second before looking back at him. "Are you okay?"

He nodded and started signing to her that he wanted to go home.

Yeah. I know sign language. But that's a story for another day, and not one I was willing to tell yet.

She nodded and stood up with him. I stood up and cleared my throat again "Uhm. I can go grab his stuff from the locker room really quick?"

Aiden looked a bit surprised at the offer, but I ignored him and looked at his mom. She slowly nodded "That would be great. Thank you. I'm parked right outside the doors."

I nodded and swiftly turned around to make my way to the locker room. I shouldn't have even offered. I didn't want Aiden to think I would be nice to him now. I made it in there and Mike was leaving "You good bro? I know Coach ripped you a new one out there."

I shrugged "Yeah. Just grabbing this kid's stuff for his mom. He's got to go to the hospital, I guess."

He cursed "Shit. Okay. Want to meet at my house in a bit?"

"Yes, I'll be there after practice ends." Grateful for any chance to avoid my own house.

I grabbed Aiden's shit, threw it in his bag and ran out to his mom's car. Aiden was in the front seat with his eyes closed as his mom was on the phone "Hold on one sec Nathan. Thank you...what is your name?"

"Lake."

"Thank you, Lake. I appreciate it. We're gonna head to the hospital. Did you want me to reach out and let you know he is okay later?"

She clearly didn't know I had been forced by coach to bring him "Uhm. Sure. My number is 212-989-0999." She took it down and promised to text me later before driving off. I watched the car leave the lot and started back to the locker room to grab my own crap. I really need to make sure I don't get too close to this kid.