Chapter Two - Finnick

It's the morning of the Reaping and the citizens of District 4 are getting ready for the big day. As a Career District, along with 1 and 2, all the children were trained for the Games since the time they could walk. As the fishing District, all the children were strong, smart, quick on their feet, and good at swimming, all things that could, and probably would  come in handy at some point in the Games. At 14, if I'm chosen, there's not much chance I'll win the Games, even with being a Career and a fisher. Nobody that young has won the Games, ever.

I guess I just have to hope I'm not chosen, at least this year, and maybe not ever. That would be preferable. Unlike most Careers, I don't want to be in the Games. I don't want to kill people. I don't want to be killed.

I was standing about in the middle of the male section with other 14-year-old boys from my District. Standing, and hoping, and hoping, and hoping I wasn't chosen. Or, if I was, that one of the Careers who actually wanted to be in the Games, would volunteer for me.

District 4's escort, Alec Elias, was standing on the stage in front of a microphone between the two fishbowls filled with all our names. He was wearing a sky blue suit with a coral tie and had shoulder length blonde hair with bright blue eyes. His appearance was very beachy and, frankly, I was annoyed by his trying to fit in. He gave us a wide smile and said, "Ladies first!" He went over to the girls' bowl and reached inside, digging around for a few seconds, before pulling out one perfectly white slip of paper. He walked back to the microphone and unfolded the paper.

"Adella  Ackerman," he said in a low but booming voice.

17-year-old Adella, with long brown hair, highlighted with streaks of blond, big golden brown eyes, tanned skin, and slim but muscular, was extremely popular and well-liked by everyone. I felt bad for whoever the boy was, because he probably wouldn't be rooted for after Adella.

Alec was back in front of the microphone with a new paper in his hands and Adella smiling beside him. "Finnick Odair," he said. He looked up and glanced around. "Finnick Odair?"

I was standing frozen in my place. This wasn't happening, this couldn't be happening. Someone was going to volunteer, weren't they? I slowly walked out into the isle and made my way up to the stage. Adella smiled at me. I didn't smile back.

"Our Tributes," Alec boomed, even louder now that I was standing right beside him, "Adella Ackerman and Finnick Odair!"

This couldn't be happening.

Everyone in the audience cheered. Nobody volunteered.

I gritted my teeth, puffed up my chest, and squinted my eyes. I was going to win, and show them all what I could do.

Alec brought Adela and I to our own separate compartments on the train that was going to take us to the Capitol. And from the Capitol, we were going to go on to the Games and Adella's doom, and my Victory.

Because I was going to win. I had to. Or, I didn't have to. There wasn't necessarily anyone depending on me, no one needed me. My mom and dad were both away most of the day, and they had my older brother, anyway. But I needed them.

I needed to survive.

Mom was the first to come in to wish me goodbye. She put her arms around me and burried her head on my shoulder. I was 14, but I was a few inches taller than she was, and my muscles were at least twice the size of her skinny arms. I realized she was crying. She hadn't seemed too concerned about my life before there was a fair chance of me loosing it.

Dad came in too, and put his hand on my shoulder. Mom pulled away to let him talk to me. "Try and win, okay, son?" he said.

I nodded. I was going to do more than try.

My older brother, 19-year-old Bay, came in and looked me in the eyes. "Of you were chosen last year, I would've volunteered for you. But I'm too old now, and I'm sorry. But you can do it, alright? I know you can."

I nodded again. They cared about me, all of them. Why had I never realized that before?

"I love you," Mom said, hugging me again.

"I love you, too," I replied, hugging her back.

Dad patted my shoulder. "Good luck."

Bay tried to smile, but it looked more like he was trying not to cry. "Bye for now, Finnick."

"For now," Dad said.

Then they were gone, leaving me alone with my thoughts. And there were a lot of them, most of them I wish would go away.