Chapter Twenty-Two Part Two

“Sir?”

“I am actually Sir Etienne, knight of the realm in service of King Tristan.” He bowed slowly to Charlotte and then to Renee, who had finally stopped crying because she was so confused. “Francois, my brother, was killed while riding with the Prince’s party that day, and I have vowed to bring whoever murdered our good King, Prince, and my brother, to justice. But we have been barred from the palace and even the center of town… the lot of us, who were loyal in Court. Well, half of us here were. The rest are known robber bandits in the area we have aligned ourselves with in order to remain in the country instead of being forced to flee.”

“Sir Etienne, I do not mean to impugn your honor, but have you any proof of your identity?”

“I do, one moment. Friar, if you please?”

The small, round man now reached into a pouch at his belt and retrieved an item for the man. He handed it to Charlotte for her to examine.

“It’s my signet ring,” Sir Etienne replied, and he nodded toward Thomas. “Let your blacksmith friend examine it, if he cares to.”

“How did you know I’m a blacksmith?”

“You are known to some among the band we have been working with for your skill in the smithy.”

It occurred to Thomas that meant some of his usual customers at the shop had secondary means of raising funds for their families which he was unaware of, and wished to remain that way. He shook his head to clear it and tried to focus upon the ring as the man claiming to be Etienne came closer and held the torch so he could see.

“It appears the genuine thing, Charlotte.”

“So, then, Sir, I have no doubt you would act to carry out the orders of the Prince and the Queen herself, but my question to you is, will the men that you’ve assembled?” She motioned for him to come closer and Etienne approached. “The Prince is supposed to try, beginning in the morning, to gather all around him that he is able, but most of the men in our village have been jailed under the Duke’s new debtors’ law. And sadly, we were unable to free them as we’d hoped. There is still a chance they may be freed and follow behind us, but we can only go forward, and hope.”

“Too ambitious a plan. That sounds like Prince Tristan to me, all right.”

“I think you would—will—find him a changed man upon your next meeting, Sir. If in fact he recognizes you and validates your identity.”

“Julien is like a second brother to me. He and Francois were inseparable.” Etienne’s voice lowered to a whisper, and sorrow changed the angles of his fine face. “He will know me.”

“What did you call him?” Charlotte gasped.

“Julien. It is what he prefers to be called by family and closest friends. Since boyhood, and I should know, I remember him as a boy. I am fourteen years his senior.”

Charlotte looked at Thomas and nodded. Tears shone in her eyes, and Etienne grew concerned.

“Have I said something wrong, My Lady?”

“No. It’s just that’s what he asked me to call him, as I nursed his wounds.”

Etienne drew a deep breath and seemed to steady himself. “He is gravely injured, then?”

“Barely survived, and would not have, by his own word, if not for the bravery of your brother, Sir, and the quick thinking of my friend Thomas.”

Etienne looked down at the ground. “Whatever he has survived, he is still our future king, and I pledge my life to his safety, and that of the Queen, and his betrothed.” He nodded to Renee; clearly he had known all along who she was, but had not felt the need to say.