It's best you go

August 12, 2014

Lindsey checked his wrist watch and sighed. There was still about an hour left before it started. He got a call that there would be a listening party of the new Stevie Nicks‘ solo album held for the people from the label, management, producers, everyone who at least touched the album in its making and her friends. Lindsey wasn‘t going to miss it, but he felt sad, the situation was highly absurd in his opinion that this was the only way he got to see Stevie now.

A staff member informed Lindsey that Stevie was soon to arrive and they‘ll have to walk down the red carpet and take some pictures together. He stood not far from where the car pulled up and she stepped out, Lindsey was the person to hold out his hand for her. She smiled appreciatingly and they followed Stevie‘s assistant Karen.

The two were standing in front of photographers, smiling widely, holding hands, occasionally looking at each other, Lindsey even slid his arm around her back and kissed her hair softly. They were joined by Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Christine McVie as well as Dave Stewart, who produced 24 Karat Gold. Lindsey didn‘t like it at all when Dave allowed himself to have his hands all over Stevie, she didn‘t even said a word about it.

Karen joined and told everyone that the photo session was over and they have to move on. Stevie and Lindsey held hands only until they were out of the eyesight of the gathered people. It almost physically hurt him, when Stevie‘s hand slipped out of his. They still had some time before the listening of the album started, he asked to have a word with her.

"You know, I have never imagined that the only way to see my wife would be coming to her album listening party.“

"You didn‘t have to come if you didn‘t want to.“

"Stevie, of course I did. And I wanted to see you. I missed you...“ She didn‘t reply, folding her arms over her chest. "Don‘t you think this is getting a little bit ridiculous?“

"What do you want me to tell you, Lindsey?“

"Oh I don‘t know, that maybe you‘re at least a bit excited to see me?“

"I am, I just...“

"Doesn‘t seem to me like it.“

"Lindsey, we‘re on a break. We both agreed to this.“

"Yeah, but I didn‘t realize this break would go on for over a year!“

"I... this is realy not a good time.“

"When is it ever? You don‘t wanna see me, you don‘t answer my calls. How am I supposed to find the right time to talk to you?“

She was glad to be wearing her aviators. He didn‘t see her eyes, but she fully saw the hurt in his. Lindsey was pleading and that didn‘t often happen in their 16 year marriage. "Tonight, after I‘m done with this.“

"Promise?“

"Yes, Lindsey, I promise.“

~

It was rather late, Lindsey knocked gently on the door in order not to disturb any residents of the apartment building. He found it absolutely mad that his own wife was living in a one bedroom apartment away from him, no matter how luxurious it may be.

Stevie opened the door and let him in. She was out of her fancy clothes, wearing a nightgown and a robe, all make up washed off, hair loose falling over her shoulders. She never looked more beautiful to him. This was the first time Lindsey was in her apartment ever since she decided to take a break from their relationship. It felt strange, he didn‘t feel comfortable.