Origins

"Commander, we are nearing the Sol System now."
"Excellent. Bring up the reports for Terra-2."
"All readings are the same. Terra-2 is still habitable, as long as some terraforming occurs. The terraforming will most likely kill the giant reptilian creatures currently living there though. Should we continue?"
"We need this planet to be ours, if we are to win against the Conglomerate. We are in this war for the long run, so we can wait for a whole planet, a whole civilization to develop before we come back here. Now fire on my mark. FIRE!"

Down on Terra-2, the reptilian creatures are living as they always have. The carnivores hunting the smaller and weaker species, the omnivores scavenging the bits of meat they can and eating the low lying foliage, and the herbivores slowly masticating the fibrous plants they eat for nutrients. Out of nowhere, a boom occurs, and all over the planet, these reptiles look up just in time to see a fireball hurtling towards them. The last thing many shall ever see. Even for those that survive, thy do not love long as the terraforming process begins, covering the planet in ash, creating new gasses in the atmosphere, allowing the primitive mammals to take over the world, and start the next leg of the journey.