[First Draft] Epilogue

Start from the beginning

"So I'm going to find out. I'm going to trace my sister's history and find out exactly what happened to her. I need to know."

She averted her gaze, like she didn't want to see me as I took in that information. The pain must've been plain on my face. I wanted to protest, to stop her from leaving. We had just faced death, many times over—together—and I wanted to spend some time with her in an environment where our lives weren't constantly being threatened, to relax and have fun. But I knew, even after realizing that it was her sister—or whatever had been using her shell—who had been the one trying to kill us, that it didn't change that her sister was important to her. I knew how much it must have hurt to hear that her sister didn't trust her enough to tell her about her secret life. And I understood why she would want to confront that. It would be difficult, but Polly had never been one to shy away from a little work. She wanted closure, and this would bring it.

But I could also tell that it was hard for Polly to leave my side. She didn't want to leave me alone, especially after all we had been through. She may have lost her sister by blood, but she had gained me, now like a sister—we would be friends for as long as we both lived. And after all we had been through, it would be hard for her to walk away and leave me on my own for however long it took... and I knew that it wouldn't be a short amount of time.

"It's okay, Polly," I said. I didn't want her to leave, but I knew that this is what was best. I was more willing to support her as she left than to keep her close for my own selfish reasons. "You can go. You should go."

"Be careful," Polly hissed, bringing her eyes back to meet mine. "I'm leaving the house in your control. It's yours as long as I am away,"

My eyes widened. "You're giving me your house?"

"For as long as I am away," Polly repeated. "And as such..." She reached around the back of her neck and I heard the tinkling movements of the tiny metal clasp. The golden chain that always hung around her neck—the one attached to the key—came free, and she held it out to me.

"Polly—I can't—it keeps you protected—"

"It comes with the house. It's the skeleton key for this whole place. You need it. And as long as this house is yours, so is this." She reached forward and fastened it around my neck as I tried to wriggle away. You can't resist Polly.

The chain felt special as it hung gently around my own neck. I held the ornate gold key in the palm of my hand, admiring it. It was even more detailed close up. It was engraved with swirls and designs, the handle curling like a flower. It was beautiful.

"Thank you," I mumbled, feeling the sting of tears in my eyes.

I felt a strong arm wrap around my shoulders, and a familiar scent come close; Luc had put his arm around me.

"That's special," Luc whispered in my ear. "Keep it safe,"

"Keep her safe," Polly said to Luc.

"Of course."

"Good."

There was a heavy silence as we sat, surrounded by what had been decided. I nuzzled into Luc's chest for comfort and Polly looked away, her eyes shining, trying not to cry.

"I should be going now," Polly said quietly.

"You're leaving today?" I shrieked, bouncing back from my sullen mood.

"Why not now? What's the use of waiting?" I didn't have an answer for that. Polly lingered for a moment and then rushed forward, wrapping her arms around both Luc and I. As she hugged us and as her cheek pressed against mine, I felt the distinct sensation of tears splashing out. Then she pulled away suddenly and headed for the door.

"I promise I'll come back," Polly said from over her shoulder, her voice slightly quivering. And then she walked into the last light of the day, and was gone.

+ + +

That's it! Thanks again for checking out The Psychic Next Door.
I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, please let me know by voting, and leaving a comment! 

+ + +

GOOD NEWS!

I've just started posting the sequel on Wattpad, called The Psychic Within! You can now follow Rachel, Polly, and Luc in a new adventure while they try to sort out exactly what happened to them.

You can find it on my Wattpad profile: yvetterussell