[First Draft] Chapter 7: Run

There was a crack, a thunderous splintering, followed by a sickening crunch and a cry of pain. I couldn't see what happened, I was too focused on trying to pull Polly out of the way of the table's descent.  

I realized there was a problem when I couldn't drag Polly any further, and in fact, trying to move her in any way resulted in her giving another ear splitting shriek. At first I didn't quite understand the situation, but once I looked back, and saw Polly's leg pinned under the edge of the heavy table, I realized why she was protesting so much.  

While grasping Polly's injury sent a new wave of panic through me, I marvelled that overall we were okay. The table could've done much more damage than break a leg. It appeared that several of the chairs that had once haloed the beautiful table had stopped the table from crushing us. Of course, now they were splintered shades of their former selves, but they at least saved us from grievous injury.  

Polly sobbed and moaned next to me, and I was drawn back to the situation at hand. The thing was still with us, I was sure. Though it was no longer shrieking at a deafening pitch, there was still a low, residual growl that filled every crevice of the room. Its direction was still undetectable, but I knew it was closer than I ever wanted it to be  

I needed to get out of here. I needed to get Polly out of here.  

My face and arm itched and tickled. I glanced down at myself only to realize that there were several steady streams of blood travelling down my forearm and spreading over the white bandages already attached to me. I hadn't noticed my own pain until that very moment, but seeing it made it flare up with ferocity. We both were in need of immediate medical attention.  

We really, really needed to get out of here.  

The only sure exit I knew was the red door, which wasn't far. But with that thing still with us, it might as well have been on the other side of a war torn city. The entrance hall was our battle ground.  

I stood up, my knees shaking and my body aching and protesting with every movement. But I couldn't let it get the better of me. Polly needed me, and after finding out that her bizarre actions were misguided attempts at helping me, there was definitely no way I was leaving her. She was my friend, and it was my fault she was hurt.  

Stumbling, I gripped the table and heaved. It took almost every remaining ounce of strength I had -- plus some extra borrowed from who knows where -- to move the behemoth of a table. It raised slightly, off of Polly's ankle, and I managed to drag it several inches away before letting it fall with a ringing boom.  

Whatever was with us didn't like the disturbance and the volume of its cry started to rise again. My neck prickled instinctively and I knew I needed to move fast. We had seen the extent of its power and I didn't think we could survive another onslaught.  

I hobbled back to Polly's side as fast as I could. I shook her limp body, trying to get her to regain some level of consciousness. I had barely any strength left, I needed her help to get her out of here, even if it was just a little. She moaned and blinked stupidly at me.  

"Polly!" I hissed. "Polly, please wake up, we have to leave, we have to leave NOW."  

"Rachel... I had the weirdest dream..."  

"Tell me all about it later, we have to go!"  

"But I'm so tired..." Polly whined, but she attempted to move anyway. But the moment she put any pressure on her ankle, she cried out. The pain snapped her out of her daze.  

"Oh Polly, I know it hurts, I know it hurts a lot, but please, please, we need to move. We can't wait. I'll help you, but we need to go now, now, NOW!" I pleaded, my voice growing hysterical as the disembodied scream intensified.