IX

Peyton 

I was alone again. We'd been asked to find a partner for our stretches. I glanced around at anyone who looked even vaguely as alone as I did. 

"I think it must be fate." Not again. "It's not like you have other options," Cain added as he sidled up beside me.

"Fine," I replied. 

The first was a calf stretch. Why we needed partners for something I could do against a wall, I would never know. Cain put both hands on my shoulders and I did the same, with the awkward height difference making it an awkward set up.  We pushed against each other's shoulders, extending one leg backwards, pressing against the ground.

"So what are you getting up to tonight?" He asked. 

"Nothing," I replied, knowing well that I had to rush to work immediately after practice. 

I kept my eyes on the ground. Each time I looked up, Cain was looking right at me, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. I let go as soon as we were allowed, turning to face the front. 

"This year's dance is going to be a fusion between modern dance and ballet," Miss Lemercier announced. "I want our team to stand out with strong ballet fundamentals, so we'll spend the rest of practice this week working on those."

I remembered my early years at the ballet studio, until I'd been forced to quit at the start of junior year. We couldn't afford the fees anymore. He'd said it was because times were tough. I knew he'd been lying, because he bought another Bentley that year. It made me hate him even more. Because he took away the one thing I loved. 

The plie took me back to the room surrounded by mirrors. My toes cried when we went into the releve. Then the saute.

My eyes were on the clock as Miss Lemercier finished addressing the team. "Thank you. I'll see you all tomorrow," she finally finished. 

I grabbed my duffle bag from the ground. I needed to catch the bus leaving immediately, otherwise I'd be late for work. Behind me, someone grabbed my arm. Cain. "What do you want?" I snapped. 

"Let's go grab a snack," he said, sipping from his water bottle.

"No. You can go find someone else for your stupid game now." Time was ticking.

"Are you always suspicious?"

"No. But when some guy who's never spoken to me for the five years we've gone to school together starts striking up conversation, I think it's pretty damn suspicious." 

Then I left. 

I got to the bus just as it was about to leave. I'd told everyone I worked at a restaurant, which wasn't entirely a lie, but rather withholding of information. 

I had to switch buses when it reached the bus stop near the local shopping centre. Then it was a five minute walk to work. It was a small bar called The Lion's Den, situated in the shady part of town. 

The old, moss covered red brick building was neighboured by a strip club. We got a lot of flow through guests who seemed to think the ogling didn't have to stop once they left the club. The only positive was that there were plenty of perverted men (and occasionally women), so we were paid decently.  

"Peyton!" Candi exclaimed, coming out from the club next door. I took out my earphones. 

"Hey," I replied. "How have things been today?"

"Not too bad," she replied, taking a drag from her cigarette. The waft of smoke started up my coughing. "Shit, sorry," she muttered, crushing the cigarette with her ten inch heels. "My kid as asthma. I should know better." 

"It's okay. I'm a little late for work, but stop by for dinner today. I can easily sneak you a steak." 

"I might just take you up on that. I'll swing by during my break at seven." 

Candi was a little older than I was, but she was a rough looking nineteen. As far as I knew, she'd been working there for years. She'd told me bits and pieces about her life , and it was difficult to believe, but working at the club was an upgrade from where she'd come from. 

As I went into the bar, a motorcycle joined the row of others already parked outside. 

--

an update after almost 2 years? definitely my kind of updating :'D 

i'll be going back and changing Kade's name to Lincoln because some readers have pointed out it gets a little confusing with Cain and Kade :)

PS. spy the edited cover (new fonts xo)