Dharma of Veebhishana

One of the most ruthless things done by masses to Veebhishan is, calling him traitor to Lanka and using sentence like

“Ghar ka Bhedi Lanka Dhaye.” For him.

The glorification of Kumbhkarna and Meghnaad, who were basically supporting unrighteousness is very popular but the person who dared to break these false illusions of Dharma depicted by his brother and Nephew is hated and insulted. No wonder why people choose to side with unrighteousness despite knowing the righteous way, after all, none wants to be mocked like him.

We did not have people like Veebhishana in Mahabharat, most of the people there too depicted ways of Kumbhkarna. What greater sin it could be when you know You are doing wrong but still doing it? Veebhishana had POWER to realise and ACT on truth, which makes him way stronger and correct than his brothers. Here are some of the misconceptions about him which I will try to remove. This article also shows that how firm Veenhishana stood on the path of Dharma as a rock admits river. Though Brother of Ravana, Kumbhkarna, He was not like them.

He was A Traitor to Lanka.

Veebhishana was the rare person who could criticise Ravana for his actions. He sensed the danger coming on Lanka. Right from the start he asked Ravana to free Maa Sita and let her meet with Lord Rama. Time and again, Ravana humiliated him. And he did not left the Lanka on his own, It was Ravana's Humiliating words and his disapproval of him which made Veebhishana go.

Veebhishana told Ravana about the strength of Lord Rama and his army and this is what Ravana replied unto him :

"O, gentleman! Hence, it is not of liking to you that the people are venerating me, that I obtained riches and that I am sitting tight in the heads of enemies". - Valmiki Ramayana.

Now what actually would even Veebhishana get if Ravana is safe from war? No personal gain actually. Ravana would have remain king and Veebhishana would have been at the same position. Veebhishana got nothing to get. But still he advised his brother when none was advising him correctly. Just to ensure that Ravana is Safe. Lanka is safe. His brother comes on the right path but Ravana discarded it all and Veebhishana was forced to leave him. His only recourse has been Lord Rama then.

Veebhishana wanted Political Power

No, He did not wanted it. I am sharing his words to Lord Rama.

"Abandoning Lanka, friends and possessions, I place my kingdom, life and happiness at your disposal." - Valmiki Ramayan.

He clearly left his life at the feet of Lord Rama and in no time in battle did he ever showed disloyalty to Lord Rama.

After this, He tells about the complete strength of Lanka. Many times in the war he supports Vanar Sena because he completely surrendered to Lord Rama and wanted good for him. There was no question of backstabbing Lord Rama by him, he never did that even in thought because this was not his character.

He too had gotten boons from Brahmadeva bit instead of demanding power, he asked for Bhakti and Righteousness from him. This itself testimony that Veebhishana was not power-hungry. His actions and words were filled with precepts of morality and he is a follower of Dharma.

He wanted welfare of Ravana from the start but Ravana did not realise it and hence instead of fetching his false ego, Veebhishana decided to separate from him and join Dharma and adhere to it, as directed by Lord Rama.