twelve

'What?' Morgan grew annoyed, standing up to confront you.

'Again? Are you serious?' Prentiss worried.

'Oh my god,' Garcia was nearly in tears.

'Look I know that this is bad, I'm very clearly aware, but right now Hotch is my only concern and I am going to say that this is now an active investigation,' you said honestly.

'What happened, Beck?' and all the team were locking down on you, they were all agitated and assuming this was your fault. Maybe it was, but for now, finding him was your only aim.

'Last night, Hotch and I went on a date. We had the exact same meal and the exact same wine. Me and Reid went to Hotch's apartment before heading back to the bars for the case earlier today. Reid identified that his place was contaminated with carbon monoxide and that it was from the vent in the room. There was,' you paused, 'A card in the vent,' and you gently pulled an envelope out from your back pocket, reaching in and getting the card, laying down on the table. The team all leaned towards the card and Rossi picked it up.

'Smile, what's that supposed to mean?' he troubled himself. You looked back at the envelope which had the first card you received inside. You glanced back up.

'Beck?' JJ said which made you sigh and pull out the second card.

'The 11th of August, why's that so important?' Morgan interrogated you harshly. Your eyes sunk back a little into your head as you glared at him and he backed off partially. Not a single person in the room knew about that day except Hotch.

'That was the day my parents were killed in a car accident. Accident,' you sneered, 'It was no accident. The driver of that truck was looking right at me when I came around in the back of my parent's car. He was smiling, but nobody believed me. Me and my brother survived,' you recalled the incident, leaving all of them wondering.

'Brother?' Prentiss asked.

'You never told me about a brother,' JJ confirmed, and some heads shook.

'Just before I got this job, we were living together. He shot himself,' you stalled looking them all in the eyes, 'In front of me,' and the aggression towards the secrecy rose. In two swift motions, you rolled up your sleeve to reveal just one of the many scars.

'It was the first time he was successful, but not the first time he tried,' you stared them down. Garcia let the tears fall and you noticed Spencer had moved closer to you; his shoulder was touching yours and you looked up at him. Thank god somebody's understanding.

'I am now offering you all the opportunity to walk away from this investigation, I don't expect...' and you were motionless as David Rossi stood up and left the room.

'Where are you going?' Morgan asked, clearly, he was in.

'To tell Strauss that this is our top case for the time being,' he called back, and you breathed a sigh of relief- the tears sinking away. They all began rushing around, without even considering that this was their free time. They were dedicated to their chief and to finding the person who made you happy.

It was dark, when usually lit, as he was always in there. Standing in the doorway of his office, you stared at his name badge. Aaron Hotchner, what a stern sounding name, you thought parallel to the things you assumed about him just over a year ago. Eyes scanning the whole room, you saw his empty chair and the files he laid out ready to start working on. Really, you couldn't sit and wait around, but as much as you tried to walk away, your feet remained glued to the floor. You were completely still, and as much as you wanted to cry, you couldn't.