Chapter 19 - Trick!

ONEMORECHAPTER
this is mostly a filler chapter, but stuff will happen >:)
TW⚠️⚠️⚠️: Murder threats, cringe couples costume
OKAYENJOYAH
——————————————————
Riley's POV
October 31st

Wanna go trick or treating? I texted the group chat. Today's Halloween, and the squad hasn't been all together in a while. Maybe that'll distract me from the shitstorm that's about to hit me. I set my phone down on my bedside table and got up from my bed. I walked to my closet in search of a DIY costume. For some reason, a leather jacket kept catching my eye. This is fucking stupid. Maybe? Screw it, why the hell not. I pulled out the jacket, an AC/DC shirt, some Doc Martins, and some ripped jeans. I slipped into the outfit, then exited my closet. I picked up my phone, then checked the group chat. Maya and Lucas had answered, but no response from Farkle or Smackle. . Sure. Meet at Topengas? I responded with a "👌", and walked toward the living room. "Hey Maya." Topenga said, scrolling through her phone. "Mom?" I said. She looked up in shock. "Oh! I assumed it was Maya, 'cause of the Doc Martins," she laughed. I chuckled, then scratched my head. "Is it cool if I go trick or treating?" I asked. She smiled, then nodded. I thanked her, then took off down the road.

Topenga's was fairly empty; a couple sitting in the corner and a few others. I found Lucas and Maya in our usual corner spot, laughing their brains out. At least they aren't scared out of their minds. "Are you kidding me? Why would you never tell me that?" Maya laughed. "Its a sensitive subject!" Lucas pouted. "Uhm," I started. "Riley!" Maya exclaimed. "Did you know that Lucas stole a tuba?" "What?" I asked. "I stole a tuba." Lucas sighed. I held back laughter, then slid into the booth. "You guys are ridiculous." Maya looked me up and down, which made me nervous. "Uhm, Riley," Maya asked. "Why are you dressed up as me?" Lucas snorted, then smacked Maya's arm playfully. "It took you that long to notice?" he exclaimed. "Whatever." Maya huffed. "I don't see you dressed up." I pointed out. "I have to go get my costume. Been workin' on it for months," Maya scoffed. Lucas raised an eyebrow, then pulled out his phone, "Farkle will be here in a sec, Smackle's on her way," he said. "Nice. Riley, come with me to get my costume?" Maya asked, holding out her hand. "Gladly." I said, and she led me out the door toward her house.

"So what is your costume, anyway?" I asked. "It's a surprise," she said, entering the room with a large box. "I'll change when we get back to Topengas." "Fine, be that way." I huffed. She rolled her eyes, then set the box down. "Oh shit, we need bags." Maya realized. "Oh yeah." She walked over to the kitchen, then rummaged through a drawer. She came back with a few reusable bags, then threw them at me. "Alright, lets go." We exited her apartment and took off back to Topengas.

As we walked my phone dinged. I pulled out my phone to a DM from Missy. Stop where you are. "Hey Maya?" I called. Maya turned around, confused. "You go ahead, I'll catch up," I said. She looked at me skeptically, but nodded and took off. Walk 12 paces forward and stop. I followed the directions, showing up in front of a dark alley. Wow, what a fun place to be guided to by the person that threatened to kill you and your friends. I felt a hand wrap tightly around my wrist, then tug me farther into the alley. The figure pressed me against the wall, then removed their hand, "So?" she said. "I did it, what do you want?" I said. "No you didn't." Missy growled. "I broke up with Maya, that's what you wanted, right?" "Thats not it." Missy said. "What the hell do you want then?" "Do nothing." Missy said bluntly. "What?" "Tell no one. Let me shoot them." "Hell no!"  I exclaimed. "Do it, and you will be spared. If I'm feeling generous, the teacher will also be spared." Missy said. "Why the hell would I let you shoot them?" "Those fags are gonna go to hell anyway!" Missy snapped. "And I wanna be the one to send them there." "Wow," I scoffed. "Aren't Christians supposed to accept all and treat others with respect?" I asked. "Who said I was Christian?" Missy asked skeptically. "You know what?" I said. "We arent gonna let you do anything. We'll stop you." "Leave me the fuck alone," I growled. I pushed her off of me, then stormed off toward Topengas.

You're gonna regret that.  Yeah, no shit. shoved my phone into my pocket and stomped into Topengas. I put on a fake smile, then walked over to our table. Farkle sat next to Lucas, while Smackle sat in the corner awkwardly. "Hey guys," I said. They nodded in greeting, then went back to their conversations. Come to the bathroom. Great, her again. I audibly groaned, then texted back with fuck off. Jeez, I thought we were friends, wth Riley. I looked down at the screen, Maya's name over the message instead of Missy's. I chuckled, then walked to the bathroom. I opened the door, but no one was there. Suddenly, a stall door flung open, and I was greeted with Maya, but... different? "What the hell are you wearing?" I asked. "I'm a satyr!" she exclaimed, gesturing to her furry legs. "What?" "A satyr, half goat, half human?" "I'm not following," I said. "Wow, you've never read Percy Jackson?" Maya said, clearly agitated. I shook my head, then she groaned. "You should it's great," she said, pushing past me. We walked back to the table, Farkle and Smackle staring an awe. "Wow," they marveled. "I've never seen something so beautiful," Smackle said. "You're welcome," Maya smirked.

"I'm It's almost 5:30, we should get going," Lucas pointed out. The group agreed, and we all got our stuff together. Farkle pulled out a bag, and took out an inflatable dinosaur costume. "That sick!" Maya exclaimed. "Jealous?" he teased. Maya rolled her eyes, then we waited for Farkle to slip into the costume. "I'm gonna wait a bit to blow it up, gotta save the battery," he said. Then, Lucas pulled a fedora and a vest from his backpack and put them on. A couples costume? "Why?" Maya groaned. "Because! We're a couple, and-" "Okay we get it, you're not single." "I think couples costumes are a great bonding experience." Smackle smiled. "Speaking of which, are you dating anyone Smackle?" I asked. She shook her head, then smiled. "It's okay though, I'm aromantic. I do not require love to be successful." "Cool. Lets get going, shall we?" Lucas said. The group agreed, then we filed out the door, and waited for Farkle to blow his costume up. "You guys ready to go?" Farkle said, muffled. We nodded, then we took off down the street in search of candy. At least it'll distract me from my crippling anxiety about tomorrow. If she even lays a finger on anyone I will bring her true pain. Maybe.
———————————————————————————
Please, please, PLEASE read the authors note after this! It's very important!!!
Anyway, corona sucks.
I miss my friends, and I need to escape my toxic family.
also, I'm still trying to find myself and having NO LUCK.
Alright y'all, stay safe!
-s