A Wedding to Remember

Safia's POV

I was more excited than Yusuf about him being a stand in Imam in Regent's Park masjid! He knew the Imam and he had asked Yusuf to take over while he was sick. I was so incredibly proud of Yusuf! He was leading prayers for so many people! My heart just swelled with the thought.

"I'm going to be at the masjid from Zuhr to Maghrib today. I think. I’ll try to make it back earlier if I can," Yusuf told me on his fifth day off from work and fifth day being the Imam. He said he needed a break so he took a week off from work, using up some of his annual leave. It just happened to be around the time the Imam of Regent's Park masjid got sick so Yusuf was asked to take over if he could. I believe my squeal when hearing this was partially the reason Yusuf accepted.

"Why are you going to take so long?" I asked. Well, moaned.

"I'm going to read a Nikah."

"MASHA’ALLAH!" Yusuf looked taken aback from my outburst.

"What's so exciting about that?"

"You're doing such big important things. It's beautiful." I wiped away a fake tear. "Is this your first time?"

"No, I've done a few Nikahs before too."

"You have? I thought your only Nikah was with me! You have other wives and you didn’t bother to tell me? I'm so heartbroken!"

"You know what I mean. Besides, you, alone, are too much for me sometimes."

"I don't know whether to be happy or offended..."

"You're free to be what you want to be."

"I'll be a teacher then." Yusuf just ignored me and continued,

"Well, I'm going to go and get ready."

"But we hardly spent any proper time together," I said pouting.

"We have!"

"Not proper quality time."

"Well, I have a Nikah to perform today so I can't suddenly bail because my wife feels like we haven't spent any quality time together even though there's two days left to do so."

"Why don't I come with you?" I asked, my face lighting up. "I love that masjid! It'll be like a day out! I should come too."

"And the kids?"

"We'll take them too!"

"So you're going to turn up uninvited to the wedding?"

"I won't be going to the wedding. I'll be going to see the masjid! Oh, and we can see the ducks after!"

"Yeah, because the ducks will still be there in the snow," he replied sarcastically.

"Oh yeah. That means no duckies. And it’s going to be cold."

"You don't have to go."

"Stop trying to get rid of me. We are going with you." Yusuf just shrugged and went to get changed.

"Remember to wear your ankle support thing! It's cold outside!" I shouted after him.

"I'm already wearing it," he replied.

When Yusuf returned, he was dressed in his whitest thobe. It was the thobe he only wore to weddings or special occasions. His usual one had hoods but this one didn’t. It looked smarter and more formal, and it was a little longer than his others, going just above his ankles.

"You look so handsome," I sighed in a dreamy way.

"Good. Now if you want to come, go get ready quickly."