Chapter 5 - A Visit From Hell - Living With A Fear

Jess' POV

Why didn't I tell Mr Hughes the whole truth. I was being bullied, but I didn't say who? Maybe he thinks that it's by another kid?
Miss parker was pleased to see me again, though she saw right through me when Mr Hughes repeated what I had said to him before hand. It was like she'd knew what was going on at home. Like she saw what was going on. My thoughts fell apart when she announced the impossible.
"I have had to inform your dad, Jess. That's who I was speaking to just then. How do you feel?" She questioned me like an officer. All sorts of emotions bubbled up inside me like lava. He weren't going to be bothered about me collapsing in school, let alone turn up. She continued to interrogate me.
"Jess, I have to ask this... Is everything okay at home?" She glanced at me like she wanted the truth. I glared at her and tried to convince her.
"Of course miss... Why wouldn't it be?" I moved out of pure judgement, not noticing all the machines hooked up to me again. I had images of me being thrown down on the floor by one punch. I felt the impact and the pain once more and screamed out my thoughts of agony.
"Alright Jess... It's okay. It's alright. Go get a doctor please Darren. Where's the pain Jess?" Mr Hughes flew out the door quicker than a lighting blot to get a doctor. I pointed to where the pain was pouring out. She took a sight of the blooded sheets and notice my lack of concentration. My thoughts and sight began to blur as the pain triggered my brain. Panic fulfilled the atmosphere as half of the hospital's emergency department rushed into the tiny room.
"I'm afraid you're going to wait outside. Dr Mason, can you take them into the waiting room please?" Dr Jackson was preparing for resuscitation. I heard muffled noises all around the cramped atmosphere, smothering me with all sorts of masks.

Mr Hughes POV

"Jess is going to be alright. She's a strong fighter, don't worry-" I was cut of by a deep, dark tone towering over me in the corridor.
"Don't worry about what? Where's Jess? What's happened?" I turned around, to see a tall, thin figured man with panic filling his deep brown eyes. Sue look over to me, with trembling hands reaching out to the angered man asking for answers.
"You must be James... look Jess needs to go to surgery now. It's practically the only thing that's going to keep her alive." I felt his heart sunk in the palm of my hand, crushing in blank pieces, that smothered the floor of the waiting room.

It took a few minutes for him to give permission. By now the doctors had her breathing once again. Jess had fought once more. A herd of surgeons headed up to theatre to operate on Jess. Machines followed the noise of the panic that led up the corridor. James sat up in complete horror, noticing that they were moving his daughter.
"JESS!" He bellowed across the the lighted up hallway. Nurses tried to stop him going towards her, pointing towards us.
"I'm afraid you have to stay here sir. I'm sorry." The remarked whilst pushing the bed to the lift.

Soon after Jess was brought back from surgery, Sue and I had left and were on our way back to the school. Bright, colourful lights surrounded out view like a clear starry night. Sue hadn't said a word since we started our journey back to work. I took a glance at her thoughts, written all over her face and killed the dreaded silent atmosphere.
"Jess is okay. She's told us everything, there's nothing to worry about." I remarked with a gentle look. It took time for her to answer with a simple nod.

A shimmer of the crescent light came from the inside of the old, mugged building in front of us. The pair of us got out of the car slowly whilst picturing the image of Jess lying there in the hospital, almost dead.

Richard was on the phone, filling his wife in on what was going on when we walked into the staff room ready to deliver the news.

" I haven't had any further news about her. Hold on, they're here. I'll let you know as soon as I know. I promise." He hung the phone up, placed it down and stared at us, waiting for one of us to speak.

"Well? Any change?" he questioned us, wanting answers. Sue and I looked at each other, reasurring it was okay to talk.

"When we left, she was still in the same position. But there's something that triggered our minds. You might want to sit down." Sue cleared a space in a brain to talk, glancing at me like some school kid who was being punished for misbehaving in class. I took a glimpse at her hands shaking behind her back, wrapped around each other control it. Loosing eye contact, she clear her throat and began to speak again.
"I'm worried that Jess is being bullied. She told us that it was some kids her age but I seem to think there's more to it then other kids -"
"What makes you think that? Has she told you anything? Who do you think did this if it wasn't them?" Richard open the washed oak drawer and pulled out a notebook and pen and started to note things down. I heard her gulp down a mouthful of air, taking a deep breath.
"When we informed her of her fathers' awaited visit, she seemed anxious. Scared of something, like she was afraid of her dad?" A confused expression covered his freckled face, questioning what sue had said before. Silence fulfilled the classroom as I pulled out a blue plastic chair and sat, whilst looking for unanswered questions.
"Her dad? Why would she be frightened of her own father? Did she say anything else?" He interrogated.
Sue shook her head as if she was being told off. Silence fulfilled the atmosphere once again as the night light drew on us.

AUTHORS NOTE
Hey guys!
Thank you so much for reading this far! I hope you're enjoying reading this as much as I am typing it! I just want to say sorry for the short, long waiting updates. I'm really busy at the moment trying to get my college work all up to date.
Hope you're enjoying it!
Love you,
Molly ❤️