Chapter 17: Carter, Owen, and Wren

"Neoma?" Amon called out to the dark out line of a figure. Neoma had gone in to the forest after her siblings nearly an hour ago and finally he had ventured in after her.

He as greeted with a stifled sniffle, he could tell she was trying to hide the fact she had been crying. "Amon?" 

"Yeah, it's me," he walked over to her "You'll catch a cold if you stay out here much longer."

"I don't care," she shrugged, not having the energy to go any where, and not knowing where to go.

Amon took off his dark jacket and draped it over her shoulders. "Don't you want to come see the orphanage? I think there may be a room open just down the hall from mine." He coaxed her gently.

"Huh?" Neoma perked up slightly.

"Well, you'll be living at the orphanage with the rest of won't you?" He asked, but then back tracked, "I mean, you don't have to if there's some where else you'd rather be. I just thought-" 

"No, no, no," she stopped him, "I'd love to stay there. I mean, not that I have anywhere else to go now that..." As she trailed of she was grateful it was to dark for Amon to see her blush.

He didn't push the matter, which Neoma was thankful for. "Come on, we really should head back before you get a cold."

"What about you?" she asked but started following him out of the forest anyway.

"Come again?"

"You keep saying we need to head back so I don't catch a cold, you haven't mentioned that you may get a cold." She repeated, searching for some sign of emotion in his barley visible face.

He shrugged and continued walking, but Neoma couldn't help but smile and laugh just a little. She might not have him figured out just yet, but she kind of liked it that way.

~~~\3/~~~

 When finally they arrived at the orphanage they found two of the other children waiting for them. Actually they where waiting for Amon specifically,  but whatever.

"Amon!" the one boy called as they came into view. Neoma shivered at the sight of him, he was leaning against the wall glaring at the spaced out looking girl whom was swaying as she stood beside him. 

"Oh look he has some one with him," The girl said but he wasn't actually looking at Neoma as she said this. "Oh," she said again a moment later when she actually looked at her, "It's that Neoma girl."

After a moment Neoma recognized her too, it was Wren and the boy was Owen. Last they had met they where trying to kill each other while escaping the town.

"Never mind her," Owen snapped. "Amon, we need your help. Carter is refusing to go to bed again." he rolled his eyes.

Amon sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose but Neoma could see the hint of a smile on his face. "Come on then, I'll get him to sleep." He gestured for the others to follow him.

Again the twists and turns where like a maze to Neoma but to everyone else they seemed completely used to it. When they came to a room with a particular amount of commotion, they went inside.

"We found him," Owen said curtly.

"Amon!" The little boy, Carter, ran over to Amon and threw his arms around him. Amon bent over slightly to hold the small boy. 

"What's wrong Carter?" His voice was suddenly gentle and caring.

The boy shrugged, letting go of Amon. "I... was worried about you."