𝓸𝓷𝓮

One

∘ ∘ ∘

THE YEAR WAS 1972.

Catherine hugged her knees closer to her chest. Her body was completely wrapped in blankets, like a human burrito. She stared into the darkness of her room. The digital alarm clock on her bedside read 2:15 a.m. No sound could be heard in the hall, upstairs, downstairs, or outside. Not even the family cat could be heard meowing. The house was entirely silent.

What was there to do to pass time? Homework had been completed, books would hook and distract her from what was needed, and getting a late-night snack may disturb the others.

Being an insomniac, sleep never came easy. Naturally, her body responded differently to the signals sent to the brain about rest. Sure, she knew what needed to happen. Her mind and body knew what needed to happen. But rest could not be forced. No matter what, it came when it came. She got what she could out of the nighttime.

Sleep had always been an odd subject for the young girl. Most people couldn't vividly remember their dreams, and when they did the memories disappeared completely after a few hours.

Catherine remembered all of her dreams, especially the bad ones. They would remain in the back of her head for days on end, a constant reminder of what goes on in the brain while you sleep.

Strange things happen in the mind during rest, yet were so realistic they seemed real. They seemed true, like the shadows of humanity had only been growing under everyone's noses. Her sleep was always restless and she would awaken several times throughout the night. Thus, sleep was never her favorite part of the daily schedule.

Sleep reminded the young girl of the great oceans of the planet; vast, limitless, and violent without a bare moment of calm. Unknowns lurked beneath the depths. Everything was a mystery.

The girl needed to distract herself. She began to think back to the old car her father had salvaged from the junk yard outside of town. He had originally intended to pawn the parts or use them himself, but Catherine saw potential. She saw herself driving that '48 Ford around town with her friends in the back.

It took days and days of begging. She offered to clean the garage every other day after school. She offered to make dinner every night. She was desperate for that car. So her father gave it to her.

It became her responsibility to repair. Once it was completed, it was hers. Until then, she would have to stick to carpooling with her sister and riding her bike around town. That's what Catherine had put most of her effort into over the past few months. Parts were spare and her knowledge in the field was limited. But Catherine was determined.

God, was she excited to finish it.

After another few minutes of complete silence, Catherine turned over on her side and placed her forearm underneath her pillow comfortably. Thankfully, her eyelids were starting to feel heavy. She was so glad she only had to worry about sleep deprivation during school for a few more weeks.

She could get through the rest of the year. She had faith in herself.

+ + +

The dream was set in a mansion. It seemed vacant; silence filled the large house and no one seemed to be home. Catherine looked down at herself and saw nothing. Her body was not there. She tried to move, to feel something, but was only met with a strong numbness throughout her body. She tried calling out, but her voice would not work.

This had not happened before in her sleep, no matter how terrifying the dream. She had felt no temperature change, spine tingles, or horrible gut feelings. She just... existed. This was a first.