All Chapters

Chapter One

Dark waves ceased once I opened my eyes, and a smoky sky greeted me. My breath heaved as I slowly stood up, noticing warm ash on my clothes and hands. One turn was all I had to take to see the raging fire demolishing my neighborhood. It was so dark and grim, I had barely recognized it. The homes loomed over me, their height casting long shadows across the road. The scattered windows looked as if they were all boarded, but a red glow emitted from them. I notice the fire burning the roofs, it's pace growing the more it burned. My eyes strayed in front of me, the wide, ominous street was filled with people I knew and some I'd never met... but none were moving. At that seemingly long second, I realized that time was frozen, only the flames and I. Not feeling any fear or discomfort by the fire ablaze, I forced myself to sprint toward the crowd, wondering who I knew among them. As I ran, I suddenly noticed someone's hand outstretched near mine, "Mum," I whispered.

The time-frozen figure of my mum brought tears to my dry eyes. She had been rushing away from the fire, her head turned to face something behind her. Her brunette hair was in a messy bun, but I mostly noticed her wide, blue eyes... I had only seen her in this state once before.

"Sarah, go to the cellar with your father! I'll be there soon, I promise." The Germans were air-raiding us in London, England, the alarm blaring in our ears. I held my thirteen year-old brother's hand as we climbed into the basement, Father greeting us with a warm, shaky smile. Even the wool blankets we wrapped ourselves in like cocoons didn't successfully fight off the freezing air, and the light emitting from the flashlight was dim, I could barely see the stairs.

"Riley, hurry! They're near!" My father yelled. My mother was vigorously collecting family heirlooms and memories that were ever-so precious, but we didn't want her to get assasinated in the process. She finally lugged her box of memories down to the basement with us, setting it down to sit next to my brother, who was shivering from the freezing air and fear. We all huddled close like penguins, trying to heat up. I was so thankful at that moment that father didn't join the war as we heard the roar of bombs exploding as they touched ground. Every time the roar of a house collapsing rang above our heads, Mum's eyes would widen in petrified fear.

I took one last look at Mum as I walked off, not noticing the tears on my cheeks. Before me were two figures not far behind her: my brother Louis and my Father, hand-in-hand. They had been running as well, their brown hair hanging in their eyes, looking forward at Mum. They're both like brave soldiers, ready to fight for their family and freedom, and I was thankful that she refused to let Louis to join the war.

"Mum, I just want to fight for our rights, our family, our freedom from the German's terror! I'm only trying to help!" They were arguing over whether or not he should go to war. Mum never wanted her son to join the war... she didn't want her son to die on the battlefield like her father had. Lois gave in and obeyed, but he always discreetly longed for the loud gunshots and the heart-racing energy of the battlefield.

I realized I was hugging my father's frozen form, his arm seeming to wrap around me as I let go. The smoke in my lungs made my breath heave as I began to cough vigorously, only to pass out against Louis's feet.

Chapter Two

My eyes opened wide as gushes of wind hit my back. Unlike last time, I stumbled as I jumped up, only to see a rising terror above my eyes, "Impossible." A nine foot wave was about to crash down upon me and London as I began to sprint, ignoring the hunger pains in my stomach.

I passed through the neighborhood and strayed into downtown, half an inch of water covering the street. Beside me was the bakery, it's cheerful, bright sign swinging above my head. Month-old scones were still displayed in the storefront window, a sale sign taped up. My mind wandered to where the now-dark bakery's owner was. Glancing behind me, I noticed another figure- Ms. Adam.