Chapter 28 ~ The Nightmare Realms

James’s eyes widened. There it was. There was the black realm exit. He remembered the sound of wind chimes, only to realize that there were little wind chimes hanging from the tree branches. He thought of the dark realm where he had first seen this image. Nobody knew what to say. Then a few of them started walking forward, and the others followed.

Alex stopped when he noticed some odd markings on a tree trunk and discovered that it was a message. He read, “It’s been two months. We have to leave. We’re sorry.” Alex gaped at the message. “We love you,” he whispered.

“Um… is that what it…?” Holly began.

“Yeah, that’s what it says.”

“Do you think it was left for an old Month?” Leah asked.

“Probably,” Dawn commented. “I don’t know if any of you heard the guides say this, but the paradise realms are where many people go missing.”

“So they just… left?” Alex asked softly.

“At least the realms go in a certain order now. Hey, why do you think that is?” Leah wondered.

Holly shrugged. “Shall we go?”

Alex took in the green grass, the blue sky, and the little song of the wind chimes. “Yeah, we better.”

They all held hands, as they always did for this sort of thing, and off they went.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Winter returned to the lab after going for a walk in an attempt to calm down. What could she do to get those monitors working again? All of a sudden, out of the corner of her eye, she saw the once black monitors showing pictures again. She gasped and ran over to the screens. There they were. The Months were entering the last realm! Quickly, Winter stepped through the portal to the last realm. When she appeared there, she looked around expecting to see the Months making their way in. Nobody was there.

Confused and frustrated, Winter returned to the lab. She went over to the screen to try reseting it but then halted in her tracks. On the screen, she saw Autumn, Spring, Summer, and herself too. She was there. Winter sunk into her seat. Then she closed out of the video and checked its information.

Twelfth Trial, it was labeled. Yes, okay. Trial start: January 1, 2014. That was correct. Trial end: July 10, 2016. Winter couldn’t move. She sat there even as the video timed out and shut down. How could this have happened.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

~ July 9, 2016

After entering the black realm exit, October opened his eyes to find a dim room that looked a little like his dining room. All his friends were sitting at the table. Smiling, October went over to them. He walked up to where his chair usually was, but found Cameron sitting in it. There were extra chairs in the basement, so October brought one upstairs. By now, he knew that he was in his house, yet it had a bizarre, eerie feeling about it. “Um, can someone scooch over please?” October asked, trying to find a nice place to put the chair. When nobody moved, October stuck the chair next to Noah and sat a little too close to him and Naomi.