chapter two

The journey was a long and tiresome one. I was sure we had been going for hours, but it was hard to tell, as there was no windows in this cramped and rather smelly transit van. I was sure we would be home in the afternoon by now, if we weren't stuck in this van. we had literally been personally escorted, and abducted by posh men with guns and knives. Although they appeared violent, and totally out of their mind, it seemed to me like none of them actually meant to harm us personally.

I huddled up to Nia, but she had become stiff through the journey, and she refused to speak. Whether she didn't want to speak or if she was too scared to speak was another matter. I wanted to reach out to her, and to tell her it was alright, but how could I? I didn't know what was going to happen.

Finally she spoke. 'I'm sick of this! Why can't we just tell them we want to go home, or I'm actually going to open these back doors and jump off this transit!'

I knew it was crazy, but I also knew she meant it. If she did it or not was another matter, but I knew that I couldn't do it too.

'Don't be stupid Nia! How could you survive a jump like that? You'd get injured- seriously injured, and also, haven't you gathered the fact that they can catch us if they want to by now?' I shouted, but I made sure the people at the front of the can didn't hear me. 'look, I want to get out of here as much as you, but do you really think we have a chance? Let's just go where they want us to go, and then I don't know where we go from there!'

Nia refused to speak. I knew exactly how she was feeling- confused, alone, scared, upset, fearful, and the list just went on. I wanted to jump of the van as much as her, but it would be just as dangerous to go with the men, so there was no point. Also, I sensed that we were in the middle of nowhere now. We had been going for ages.

'Look! I'm in charge and your jumping off this van now! Do you hear me! I'm opening these doors and your gonna jump for your life!' Cried Nia.

She swung open the doors, and I saw that we were on some kind of motorway. If we didn't break our necks, we'd get run over. I was broken out of my daydream when I saw Nia leg it off the side of the transit. I wanted to jump but something held Mr back. I felt a tear dribble down my cheek as I saw her image become smaller and smaller. As the transit turned round a particularly tight corner, I watched as the doors swung back in the wind, and the image of my sister was gone completely.

I stumbled, and got to my feet frantically trying to push open the door, but I wasn't strong enough. I punched and clawed at the door until my knuckles bled and my nails were chipped everywhere. The truth was that I wasn't strong enough to open the door. I was alone, and I would probably never see Nia again...