Chapter 2: I did not expect this to happen today

Oliver gaped at me. "You know, Lily, when I texted you asking whether you could magically appear through my wall, I didn't think you'd actually do it."

I just stared at my best friend, as we both recovered from the initial shock.

"I'm so confused," we both said in unison.

"You're confused?" he screeched, "You're the one who just broke into my house!"

I held up my hands. "Okay fair enough, but I didn't know where the tunnel would lead. I wonder where the other pathway leads then..." I trailed off, saying the last part more for myself.

"Huh? Tunnel? Another pathway? Walker, you better explain yourself," Oliver said, walking up to my face.

"Alright, Robinson," I said, mocking his use of my last name, "but can I dust off first?"

He nodded, stepping backwards and pointed to the bathroom at the far end. "Let me just lock the door that leads upstairs," he said, walking towards it, "In case anyone of my parents comes down here for some reason."

I almost forgot in the flurry of the moment. Although Oliver and I were best friends, our families had a feud that ran from past generations, despite no one knowing why. Our parents called us betrayers, but we decided that it was ridiculous and would not stop being friends because of that. It was also the reason that this was the first time I was seeing Oliver's room, despite us knowing each other for seventeen years.

After I was sure there were no cobwebs on me anymore, I stepped out and saw Oliver switching off his video game. "So that was the groaning I heard," I said, awkwardly standing near him.

He smiled at me questioningly and pulled my hand towards the sofa. He first hugged me then held me by the shoulders. "Tell. Me. Everything," he said, emphasising every word.

I nodded. "Well about half an hour ago, after lunch, I was just playing with a tennis ball in my room, because that was how bored I was, and someone wouldn't reply," I narrowed my eyes at him accusingly.

He smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry, Lily. My parents insisted I sit with them in the living room in the morning, and you know how they would get if they knew I was texting you," he said, scratching the back of his neck.

I pursed my lips, pretending to debate forgiving him. "Of course it's okay," I grinned, "My parents are probably the same."

He laughed and tapped me on the arm, "Well, continue!"

"Right. So then, the ball slipped out of my hand and hit the crack in the wall. It made an odd sound, and it must have been the lock opening. I don't know how I haven't noticed it before. So obviously I go to pick up the ball and see the door slightly open so I-"

Oliver cut me off. "Let me guess; you threw the ball at it again?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Precisely," I laugh. "Then I crawled through and saw a turning in the tunnel, but ended up going straight, and voila! Here we are," I finished.

He looked me up and down. "And it took this long because of an outfit change?" He asked, looking amused.

"No! Well, maybe..." I trailed off, "Do you want to come to investigate the other tunnel with me?"

"Of course! But-" He stopped talking when he heard a knock on the door.

"Oliver?" His mum called out.

"Coming!" He yelled, and we exchanged alarmed looks.

"Go hide in the bathroom," he whisper-yelled at me.

I ran towards it, and slowly shut the door.

"Hello, mum! What are you doing here?" I heard him say.

"Nothing, I just wanted to check up on you. I thought I heard speaking," she replied.

"Yeah, I was just on the phone with my mate," he replied.

"I hope it wasn't that wretched Walker girl," she said, hatred seeping through her voice.

I internally groaned.

"N-no, psh, of course not," he said, fake laughing.

I facepalmed.

"Okay, mum, you can go back. I'm feeling wonderful. Now I am going to," he paused, "To take a nap."

"A... a nap?" She questioned, sounding sceptical.

"Yes, that is... why I don't have a shirt on. You know, the heat and all. So if you excuse me, good night," he said quickly, locking the door again.

I buried my face in my hands.

I heard him shuffling towards the bathroom, followed by, "You can come out, Lil."

I strode out and slapped him upside the head. "Ouch!" he shouted before I hastily placed my hands over his mouth.

"Be quiet!" I hissed.

He grabbed my hands and held them tightly as I struggled. "Calm down woman, what is up with you being so aggressive today?" He paused, "Well, more than normal that it."

I stopped wriggling and let my hands fall loose. "Sorry, I think I've forgotten how to behave like a normal person at this time," I said, "And I'm not normally aggressive!"

He looked at me incredulously and said, "My poor arms and I beg to differ."

I opened my mouth to object but realised I do playfully hit him—a lot.

Then, I suddenly got excited that I was meeting my best friend and jumped to hug him. He laughed, catching me easily. I randomly did this frequently, so he wasn't caught off guard. After I let him go, he said, "So about that tunnel?" 

-----------------------------------------------

Okay I know it has been a while, but my school is going crazy and giving us more work than normal :/

I will try to update more this week though. It is a short story so should just be a couple more chapters.

What do you all think so far?

Stay home, stay safe xx