three - ridiculously wasted

Mari had twelve minutes left in her shift at the boutique when she heard the little bell above the door ring and saw the pogues stroll into the store. They walked in laughing as a few tourists who were browsing the sundress rack gave them dirty looks.

"Party at the boneyard tonight," Kie said as JJ picked up a pair of sunglasses to try on, "you in?"

"I'll ask my mom, and JJ please don't steal those, that is the last thing I need right now."

JJ put the sunglasses up and put his hands up in surrender.

"She has no faith in me, I swear," she heard JJ say as she walked back to the storage room.

"Mom?" she asked, sticking her head in the doorway.

Her mom was sorting through a new bracelet shipment and barely looked up at Marina.

"What's up?"

"Well, Kiara, Pope, John B, and JJ are all in the store and they invited me to hang out with them tonight."

Her mom looked up questioningly.

"They're in the store?"

"Yes."

"All of them?" her mom asked.

"Yeah, is that a problem - "

"No, not at all. I just haven't seen them in here for two years, I'm surprised."

Marina shrugged, "Things change I guess."

Her mom smirked.

"I should go say hi to them," she said.

"You really don't have to do that mom."

Her mom was already walking out of the storage room. The pogues saw her and immediately smiled. Back when Marina was friends with the pogues, her mom was everyone's surrogate mother. She always offered to cook for them and didn't mind when they spent the night at Marina's house.

"Mama Carol!" JJ practically cheered, "Good to see you!"

Mari's mom laughed, "Nice to see you JJ, have you stayed out of trouble the past few years?"

"Oh, I have only ever been in  trouble, ma'am."

Her mom talked to Pope about his potential college scholarship and asked John B if things were going well at home with his new guardian (John B answered with a masterfully crafted lie about his Uncle T). Mari's mom and Kiara shared the same passion for the environment, so she told Kiara all about the boutique's new compostable paper bags. By the time everyone had finished catching up, Mari's shift was over.

"What are your big plans for tonight?" her mom asked as Marina grabbed her stuff.

"The usual. Hang out, listen to music," Mari said before any of the other pogues could answer with the truth.

"Alright, be careful."

"Bye, love you!" she said as she headed out the front door, the pogues trailing behind her, muttering goodbyes as well.

There were three steps to a successful party at the boneyard.

Number One - pick up the keg.

They guy they were buying the keg from lived in a part of the cut Mari would never feel comfortable walking around alone in. When they got to the house, John B insisted Kiara and Marina stay in the car, just to be safe. JJ argued that they should come because it might get them a better price for the keg, but no one else thought it was worth the risk.