0 // Prologue

"Mother?"

"Mum, please," I wrap my small, frail arms around my mothers now dead body. A cold, lifeless look pasted onto her soft face. Phoebe, my older sister joins me in the small hospital room that with each passing seconds grows bigger and bigger. As she turns me to face her I wince at the sadness in her eyes. Phoebe was always the stronger one, I hardly ever saw her cry...

"Emlen, she's...gone," as soon as those words I've been dreading to hear leave my sisters mouth I snap. Quickly lifting my small hands to try and cover my ears I let out small huffs. I don't want to hear that, I couldn't live without my mother, I couldn't, I wouldn't. Phoebe notices my fragile state, she wraps her hands around my small frame in an attempt to comfort me, it fails miserably when I firmly push her away, not wanting her to stop me from trying to wake mum. She isn't dead, she can't be? How can someone leave your life, just like that?

"Emlen, your eight now, sooner or later your going to have to grow up!" Phoebe angrily spits at me, her cold blue eyes growing into to a new harshness.

I cower behind the hospital bed, the only thing separating me and Phoebe at the moment and I'm glad for that. My father bursts into the room moments later, immediately rushing to my mothers side. But it's too late. Everything is over, it's all over. Realisation hits me like a ton of bricks, I'm dumbfounded by the truth behind my sisters harsh words. My father runs a hand through his jet black hair, a habit he does whenever he's stressed or scared.

Before I know it my father is in tears... This being the first time I saw him do such a thing.

Phoebe crosses her arms, her lips pressed into a thin line, she isn't the best at expressing her emotions or trying to talk about them. She pushes her blonde hair with black streaks behind her ear, adjusting her black dress into place trying to act like she wasn't just bawling her eyes out in the room next door.

But, Phoebe eventually begins to feel sorry for my father, and me. She softens her features when she looks over at my mother, her golden hair drenched in sweat. It sickens me how she looks so at peace and...asleep. My father grabs ahold of my hand and then Phoebe's. We all stand around the hospital bed that holds the missing part of our family that we can never get back.

My father clears his throat, diverting our attention to him. "Girls, I want both of you to know," he stops to calm his breathing, "that your mother, she's in a better place now. She doesn't have to suffer anymore, she's happily living up in heaven." He kisses us both on the forehead when he calms his unsteady breathing.

I can't stop the tears from flowing, it hurts, so much...to think that I can't wake up to the smell of freshly cooked pancakes, that I don't have a shoulder to cry on and vent out all my issues to, someone to kiss my bruises and to read to me in bed, someone like my mother.

Phoebe frowns deeply, she takes long steps over to me.

"I'm sorry, sis," she whispers quietly.

***

That was one of the last times I saw the real side of phoebe.

___________________

The song attached to the chapter is a song that goes well with this chapter I'll do that a lot I'll either write a list or post one. Have fun reading :3

Emlen & phoebes parents = Ross & Rachel from FRIENDS