Chapter 17

When we got back from our honeymoon, McKenna was so happy to see us. After we played Barbies for about two hours, we gave her a bath and put her to sleep. Then we went to sleep. When I woke up, Chad wasn't in the bed anymore. I went downstairs and saw Mom, Micha, and Grandma sitting on the couch and Chad was in the kitchen cooking. I walked into the kitchen and sat on the counter.

"Chad, why are they here?" I whispered

"I don't know. They called me about and hour ago asking if they could come over. They got here 15 minutes ago and no one has said a word. It's creepy."

"Oh. I'll go talk to them."

I got off the counter and went to sit on the couch. Before I said anything, Kenna walked downstairs and sat on my lap. I put my arms around her.

"Hey guys" I said at an attempt to start the conversation. They all looked up at me like they hadn't realized I was sitting there.

"Oh, hey Mia." Micha said

"So, why are you guys here?"

"We have to tell you something." Mom said

"Ok, go ahead"

"Grandpa had a heart attack last night. We were just notified that he died at 1:30 this morning." Mom said

I sat there for a minute and let it sink in. Grandpa was the only one who didn't look at me with even a hint of disappointment or regret during my pregnancy. It was his idea to give me the apartment, witch, if you add it all up, saved Kenna's life. I looked up to him. We shared the same likes and dislikes so we did a lot together. I even lived with him and grandma for a month when Mom was on a long business trip in Europe. Then I thought about Mom. Grandpa was her dad. She must be in extreme emotional pain. Then it hit me. I would never see him again. I would never feel his perfect bear hugs, and I would never hear his carefree laugh. I started bawling. Mom came over and held me. I cried on her shirt. She hugged me and I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. They all left and promised they would be back tomorrow.

"Mia, do you want to go upstairs, baby?" I shook my head and curled up in a ball on the couch. He put Kenna down for a nap and then came back downstairs and held me. He called in sick for both of us so he could be with me. We spent most of the day curled up on the couch and then we went to bed.