Chapter Five - Things were beginning to change

"Are you sure that it's ok? I really don't want to intrude." Robin asked me for the fifth time as Ariel served us our pancakes.

"Yes, I'm sure. My family would be happy to have you." I told him for the fifth time.

"Really? You're brother didn't seemed too thrilled about the idea."

"Well, my brother can be a jerk sometimes. Don't worry though, he'll get over it." I said as I searched the table for the syrup.

He chuckled and slid the warm and sticky glass into my hand. I carefully poured the syrup onto my pancakes before taking a bite of the fluffy, buttery, perfect, cakes.

"So, London," Robin began, "tell me about yourself. The last time that we sat here all we did was talk about me."

I swallowed my bite of pancake before I answered. "There really isn't much to know about me, honestly."

"Oh come on," he encouraged, "We'll start with the basics: what's your favorite music?"

"Um...well, I don't really listen to a lot of music but sometimes my mom listens to Elvis and his sound is pretty nice."

"All my parents listened to when I was growing up was Elvis." He said, "Alright, so you don't really listen to music. Do you read?"

I smiled, "It's kind of hard for me to." I pointed to my eyes.

He laughed, "Well, yeah, but I mean, don't they have books printed in Braille?"

"Yes, but the nearest library with an entire section of books in Braille is two hours away and I just don't have enough interest in books to go all the way out there."

I heard him pick up his cup and sip some of his coffee. "I don't get how you could not like to read. When I'm at base, all that I do in my free time is read."

"I just don't see why people love to read so much."

"Maybe I'll just have to read to you sometime so you can see."

I smiled, "Honestly, I think that I would like that."

We were both quiet for a few moments, but it wasn't awkward. Then he asked, "So if you don't really listen to music, and you don't read, and I assume that you don't like to watch movies, what do you like to do?"

I laughed, "There's a couple things. I like to listen to my brother play his guitar, I like to come here, and when it's nice out I like to go to the park and swing."

He was quiet for a second then said, "It's a pretty nice day for December. Let's go."

"Go?"

"To the park," he clarified, "to swing."

I smiled, really smiled. "I would love that."

Ariel gave us our check and Robin insisted to pay. I told him that I would only let him pay if he let me get the tip. He finally agreed to it and we paid. He held the door to the café open for me, and then he opened the passenger door of his car for me. I wasn't really used to the gentleman act, but it was a nice change.

As I made myself comfortable in the cool, leathery seat of his car, Robin turned the radio to a classics station and we listened to James Taylor and Elvis during the short ride to the park.

After he helped me out of his car, I pulled my jacket tighter around me. It was chilly out and as we walked towards the swings some of the snow soaked through my thin boots, but I didn't mind.

As we reached the swings, I clumsily climbed onto one and began to rock back and forth. The December air nipped at my finger tips and nose as I began to gain altitude, but I was enjoying myself. I grinned like a child as the air pushed my hair into my face and then back again.