Chapter 2 ~ Her Birthday | Before|

It's always the worst thing in the world when the best day of your life ends up feeling like your worst.

I used to think that I was loved. I thought that my parents loved me. I thought that my brother loved me. I thought that my friends loved me, but when it really came down to it, did anyone really love me enough to remember my birthday?

This was the first year I decided not to remind anyone in advance, because I was sure that my loved ones would remember it. They would if they loved me.

I'd been expecting them to surprise me when I woke up. I was expecting something awesome at midnight. Nothing happened. I only woke up the next morning feeling confused. I'd tiptoed down the stairs, expecting a surprise breakfast being planned.

Nothing.

My dad was still sitting at the breakfast table, newspaper in hand, reading the morning news. My mom was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

My dad smiled when I walked in. "Good morning, Faline." He said with his normal warm smile.

I forced one back. "Good morning, Dad."

He returned his attention to the newspaper. I cleared my throat. "Dad, aren't you forgetting something?" I asked, hoping that a subtle reminder would be enough. He glanced at me, and then frowned. "It's Saturday." He said. "No work."

"No, I meant today. Isn't it something today?" I pressed.

"Oh yes!" He exclaimed, and I grinned, in relief. It had taken a little reminding, but my dad remembered. "Anna invited you for lunch. They're having a barbecue."

My shoulders slumped in disappointment, but his words made me brighten up a little. "Anna invited me for a barbecue?" I asked. Today? On my birthday?

My dad nodded. "She called this morning. You're practically a part of their family. She invited me and you mom, too, but we refused. There's a charity bake sale and your mom's making some of her special apple pies. She's in the kitchen right now. Why don't you go help her?"

Still disappointed, I nodded.

Okay, so my dad might have forgotten that it was my birthday, my fifteenth birthday. The most important birthday in my life up to this point. But that was my dad. My mom would surely remember. She had, after all, given birth to me. She would surely remember one of the most painful days of her life.

I nodded, entering the kitchen. Sure enough, my mom was preparing my favorite apple pies. She knew I loved them. There was a freshly bakes set on the counter and I reached for one, only to have my hand suddenly slapped away. I squealed, clutching my hand.

"Those aren't for you!" She exclaimed.

"They're not."

"No." She shook her head. She had the most luscious chocolate brown hair I'd ever seen, outside of shampoo commercials. I didn't inherit the volume, but I did manage to catch the color. "We're having a charity bake sale, today. We're donating whatever we sell. If there's any leftover, I'll set them aside for you, but you don't get any right now. I made pancakes for breakfast. Eat those."

"But, Mom, you know your apple pies are my favorite." I whined, momentarily forgetting that my birthday had been forgotten.

"Then you can come to the bake sale with Landon and buy some. You don't get any for free." She said, huffing.