Chapter 2: Realization

Hey guys, I'm sorry the update was late I was gonna post it yesterday but my phone got taken away, so yeah. Anyways hope you guys enjoy this chapter I'll try not to update late next time. You guys are awesome!

We raced to Tyler’s house. As we were running Terra and I furiously tried to contact  him and the others, but to no avail. Everytime, we heard a dull tone on the other end, signaling no connection. We were confused for a while, until I tripped on a fallen phone line. At this we tossed our phones, and continued sprinting.

As we approached the neighborhood it looked like a scene out of a movie, and maybe it was. Houses were collapsed or on fire, or both. Cars crashed into poles, houses, other cars, mailboxes, even people. Some were unconscious, others were moaning. The once vibrant grass was splattered with blood, dead bodies, limbs, and the strange green goo.

Yet as I was staring in shock and horror, the most disturbing was the lack of human voices. Nothing was to be heard in the midst of all the chaos, not even screams. We ran by a white car engulfed in flames. Through a lick of the flames I saw bunch of bodies in the cars; two small ones and a car seat were in the back. My blood ran cold.

We arrived to the beginning of their street. I stopped and doubled over gasping for breath. I wasn’t the most athletic kid, even though I did track for one year when Terra did it. Now is not the time to do dwell on how athletic Terra is compared to you. Get a move on, don’t endanger Terra with your lack of athleticism. Just as Terra realized I wasn’t behind her and started offering me a helping hand, I stood up and waved her hand away. She gave me a questioning look. I shook it off and started running without her, but she easily caught up and made sure I didn’t fall behind. We were just around the corner, and I felt a tug at my arm, causing me to propel backward and fall on the ground. I didn’t even have time to realize what was happening when I heard Terra yelling and felt people fall onto me. I was being attacked and I couldn’t get up. Terra screamed louder and I heard metal clanging from the trash cans next to me.

“Get. Off. Of. Alec!”

A couple of grunts later and I was pulled up by Terra.

“Thanks,” I whispered, “Why did they attack me? What did I do to them?”

I could have sworn I heard Terra whisper idiot under her breath. Not wanting to start a fight I decided to let it go. I felt her start to tug my arm again, away from their house.

“What are you doing? We’re almost there.”

“Run, idiot!” With that she let go of my arm and ran off. Wanting to protect her I ran after her, not letting my rapidly beating heart stop me.

As we were running around five more people came at us. They were covered in blood, caked with dried blood, dirt, and garbage, and green goo oozing from their wounds. One of them got closer to Terra than I appreciated. Quickly I grabbed the lid off a metal trash can and rammed them with it. I heard a sickening crack as they fell to the floor, but surprisingly they still moved. Not knowing what to do, I froze. As I stood, wondering what to do, Terra took a chance and sliced off the head with an axe.

I stared at Terra, shocked, but was only met with a machete shoved into my arms. Starting to argue I looked at the fallen man, and one remaining thought fleeted my mind.

Wait a minute, this looks like something out of a zombie movie. What if these people are zombies?!

Realization overwhelmed me in a matter of seconds, but wanting to be certain, I tested it out on the next attacker. I firmly gripped the machete and proceeded

It was a woman in her 20’s, and it was easy to tell she used to be beautiful. She had long fiery red hair in curls that reached her shoulder blades with a black head band shaped to be a top hat with a gold buckle dangling from her hair. Her green Saint Patrick’s day shirt was torn from her right shoulder down to her back and deep red gashes oozing the green goo were visible. Her shorts were torn and scratches and teeth marks were spread on her calves and ankles.

I stabbed the machete right through her heart and when she didn’t go down immediately my suspicions were confirmed. This time, with no hesitation I bluntly pulled the blade through her neck, and the head rolled away. I looked up panting only to see the remaining three on the ground, all headless. I then noticed Terra, and almost lost my nerve. Her left sleeve was torn off and was carrying the goo covered axe on her shoulder with one hand on her hip, and somehow her hair had remained untouched.

“Are you okay, Alec?”

I was staring and couldn’t help but breathe heavily. I must have looked like a pervert. Quickly I composed myself, slightly irritated Terra didn’t even break a sweat, after all slicing heads wasn’t as easy as thought to be. Then again I should have expected it from her.

“Yeah its just, well… those were zombies,” I whispered the last part, still not believing it myself.

“Yeah I kind of figured that out myself,” sarcasm laced her words, stinging me.

“Anyways we better find a different way back to the house, but obviously we can’t go out in the open.”

Nodding in unison, we continued walking down the street, unseen, until we came by a driveway with the car door open. Feeling that it might be our only opportunity I gripped my weapon tightly and sneaked up to the car.

It was a black racing type of car with a few scratches on the bumper and along the passenger door. That’s not a good sign. I hope what ever caused that isn’t still around. As I walked past the doors I noticed the racer was, thankfully, empty. Finally I got to the front of the car relieved to find no zombies around, and that the keys were miraculously still in the ignition. Turning around I signaled Terra, who had waited at the beginning of the driveway, the go ahead.

I sat in the driver’s seat and turned on the car, waiting until Terra got into the car. Once we had buckled up I backed out of the driveway and drove on to Tyler’s house.