One

Chapter One: 1861

The sky was a brilliant blue, with no clouds to be found. The temperature was quite cold, but Elouise Myer stood tall and unflinching in a thin short sleeved black dress.

The tombstone staring back at her was unmoving, the fresh soil mocking her. "Oh, grandmother." She whispered, hugging a small cloth to her chest. It had been her grandmothers, along with the dress she wore that was much to big. Elouise didn't own a belt, so she scrunched the waist and tied it with an old ribbon.

"I'm sorry for your loss." A voice said.

Elouise spun around, eyes falling on a woman. She was older, with curly blonde hair. She looked familiar, but Elouise had never got her name.

"My grandmother. Ms Mabel Parker."

"Oh, I know Mabel." The woman frowned, eyes landing on the gray stone. "I wasn't aware that she passed away."

Elouise must've made a face as the woman stuck her hand out, "Mrs March. But please, call me Marmee."

"I'm Elouise." She gave a small smile, attempting to be as polite as she could. "Elouise Myer."

Mrs March moved next to her, grabbing a ahold of her other hand. "I don't mean to be rude but I wasn't aware that Ms Mabel had any family."

"Not here. She left our small town in Canada to travel the world, settled here it seems."

"Are you here for only a short time?"

"I shall be staying for another month or two. Both me and Grandmother have the same dream of traveling the world, I just hope she follows me along the journey." Elouise sighed, "Mr Markle owns a small hotel central of the city, he's offered me a discount price as a mourning gift, I suppose."

Mrs March made a face, "What happened to her home?"

"That little shed?" Elouise gave a chuckle, "I love her very much but I prefer not to stay there any longer than I must. Along with the roof caved in, I don't believe it is very livable."

The woman gazed up at the sky, taking a deep breath of fresh air. "Come stay at the March household. I have four girls, and they are around your age. They would love it."

"Oh, I'm not sure." Elouise said. She didn't want to intrude on a family, not when she was a stranger. "I don't want to—"

"Nonsense! We will make room, I promise you."

"Are you sure, Mrs March? That's awfully kind of you." 

"I insist." The woman smiled, "Though, I will leave you to say your goodbyes. I will tell one of my girls to fetch you at your grandmothers house. I'm sure you need to collect your belongings, caved roof and all."

Elouise bid farewell as Mrs March turned and continued on her way. She watched the woman disappear over the hill, wondering suddenly why she decided to stop and speak to a girl standing in a cemetery.

"I love you deeply." Elouise nodded at her grandmothers grave, "I will carry you in my heart wherever the winds shall take me."

She slowly made her way from the cemetery, the breeze blowing her long hair behind her. Elouise hurried down the bustling streets, finding herself entering the nearest bakery. She didn't have much on her, or really at all, but she did have enough for a small loaf of bread. Elouise couldn't show up to stay with the March's without a thank you gift, even if it was only a loaf of bread.

She picked out a loaf and brought it to the counter, placing it gently on the surface.

"Take it." The elderly man told her, "Ms Mabel used to shop here quite a bit. I'm sorry about your loss."