Chapter 13 ~ Why?

I panted as I ran through multiple hallways in rooms searching for Haru. Rin ended up beating him in the freestyle race. I couldn't hear from the stands what he said , but I could tell it really upset Haru.

"Haru!" I yelled out. Finally he stepped out of the shower rooms with a towel over his shoulders. I ran to him and hugged him, not caring if I got wet. "Are you okay? What happened?" He didn't reply but just rested his head on my shoulder. "Haru talk to me. What did Rin say?"

"Rin... I'll never get to swim with him again." He sounded like he was in the verge of tears. "I was supposed to feel free, but I don't."

"I'm so sorry, Haru." It hurt so much to see my other half so distraught. Rin was the one who made Haru care about swimming in the first place, ever since that relay right before Rin and I left. Of course, I also knew about the incident during that first holiday break. I wonder if things had turned out differently back then, then maybe today's results or feelings would be different.

"Rin swims to compete in the Olympics some day." Haru said. "Why do I swim?"

"There you guys are!" Nagisa suddenly ran up to us, out of breath. "Mako's about to swim."

"I think I'll pass." Haru declined.

"No you won't, let's go!" Nagisa grabbed both our hands and ran towards the stands. By the time we got there, the race had already started. My eyes kept going back and forth from Makoto to our small team cheering him on. Unfortunately, Makoto came in second place, so he didn't qualify for regionals.

"You see, we all have setbacks." I whispered to Haru and held his hand. "We'll get through this together, okay?" Makoto slowly got out of the pool and surprisingly noticed us two in the stands. I smiled and blew him a kiss. Haru just looked away and walked down the stands.

"You guys are disgusting." He said.

"Haru! Don't leave me!" I whined.

                                     ~~~~~

Unfortunately, nobody ended up qualifying for regionals. It was disappointing, but I think it got everyone pumped up for the next tournament. "Sakura, where's Haru?" Mrs. A asked me.

"He already went home." I answered simply. I wanted to go with him, but I knew Haru likes to sort certain stuff out on his own.

"Okay, well I'll leave you two to it." Mrs. A nodded to Kou and I and headed off.

"I guess there really is more to swimming than just theories and numbers." Rei said. "But even so, I'm getting excited for the next tournament."

"It's a little too late for enthusiasm." Nagisa chuckled.

"No, it's not." Kou said. I gave her a look, and she nodded. I guess we're telling them now... "There's still one more day."

"The tournament, yeah. But all of our events were today." Nagisa said.

"If I remember right, tomorrow's the running individuals, and the medley-" Makoto's face showed realization. "Tell me that you didn't-"

"We may have signed you all up for the relay tomorrow." I admitted. "If we win it, we'll qualify for regionals."

"But we haven't even practiced!" Nagisa said.

"I'm sorry, but it's too sudden." Makoto objected. "Plus, Haru-"

"Let's do it." Rei suddenly said. "This is our last chance. It's still worth a try, even if we haven't practiced."

"Team Captain?" I smiled at Makoto. I don't think it took much more convincing.

"Let's do it then." He nodded.

                                     ~~~~~

After that we all took the train back to Iwatobi and ran to mine and Haru's house. We searched every inch of the house but couldn't find him. He wasn't even in the bathtub, so where could he be?

I eventually remembered he had a cell phone but as soon as we left a voicemail, we heard it buzzing on a table nearby.

"Are you okay?" I heard a soft voice ask as I sat on the stairs. I turned my head to see Makoto.

"I don't know." I answered honestly and played with his cell phone in my hands. "I'm just worried about Haru. I don't think he'll swim tomorrow."

"You know him better than anyone, Sakura." Makoto said and sat down beside me. "You can do what you can, but the rest is up to him."

"I know." I yawned and rested my head on his shoulder. Eventually, I drifted off into sleep.

                                      ~~~~~

"Hey, you guys." I was awakened by someone slightly shaking me. I groaned and opened my eyes to see Haru.

"Haru!" I smiled and hugged him. "Thank goodness." He slowly wrapped his arms around me, too.

"You're back." Makoto said happily.

"We have a relay to swim."