Chapter 4

Grind. Pull. Pour. Few grains of coffee and buckwheat spilled onto a wooden counter. Shortly wiped away with a linen cloth of a practiced hand. Its owner wore a gray apron, decorated with vibrant beads and aroma of spices. One cup of brew, a saucer of jam, and three biscuits were gently placed on a tray, each in its rightful place.

A pair of inquisitive eyes observed the process from a far corner of the establishment, briefly distracted to gaze at a sluggish figure and its small companion.

"Just a second Wendy, I will be back." Avy picked up a tray with freshly baked bread and brew, making her way towards her second customer.

Lone gentlemen in a wide-brimmed hat sat at Maestro's table. Narrow oval oak top rested on a tripod of crooked iron legs. The table and striped canvas chair that complimented it were both designed by Maestro himself. Regular to Muddy Brew, Maestro made this and few more other adjustments to the cafe completely free of charge. He only asked that his name was not to be mentioned, as he rather enjoyed anonymity and crowd free ambiance of Muddy Brew. During witch season, when most residents preferred to stay indoors or get home delivery, this place was even more deserted than the usual. Just the way Maestro liked it.

Maestro was a local genius tinker and inventor extraordinaire. All men wanted to be him and all women had ridiculous crushes on him. Most anonymous mail that the Post ever received was addressed to him. Smothered in perfume and tear stains these letters went straight to archive as Maestro never picked up mail, unless it was from his friends, of course.

A gentleman who occupied Maestro's table and chair was not Maestro at all. Though of same height and body type, this was an out of towner. One of the few souls who stumbled into Brick Corners out of season. Tourist board and their pamphlet promotions always encouraged to travel at the strangest times. "For most authentic experience", they said. Wendy chuckled to herself, what rubbish. Witch season was the most unauthentic experience one could have over here.

During witch season Brick Corners resembled a ghost town. Population density thinned, as most preferred cozy indoors to windy and damp streets. Many visited their family and distant friends for annual cider-making or burned leaves in their gardens and balconies to stay warm. The mist from the Swan lake liked to creep in around this time of year, concealing road signs, lights and everything within 27 inches of view. This forced locals to revert to the good old fashioned walking and to abandon their mechanical transports. In short, there was nothing authentic about this charming city of brick, iron, and innovation during this dreary season.

"Poor tourists", Wendy muttered as she stirred in a third sugar cube into her coffee. She watched the swirls of brown and beige, entangled with a gesture of a small silver spoon. With a large breath in, she devoured the scent of her favourite buckney drink. Buckwheat flowers, honey, coffee, and milk—that was Muddy Brew's specialty. This cup was ought to wake her up or at least supply an hour of prolonged waking. She really needed that extra time to wrap up some chores. Wendy gulped down her drink in one go.

"If you're that thirsty I can make you another one." Avy winked at Wendy. She was back at her station behind the bar and already engaged in spoon polishing.

"No, thanks." Wendy pushed her empty cup towards Avy. "So, who is this mystery tourist?"

"Him?", Redhead gestured with her eyes towards the only other customer in a cafe, "He's here for a day or two. Said he traveled from afar."

"Don't they all?", Wendy remarked rhetorically. And then sighed, "Poor fellow."

"Yeah." Avy bobbed her head.

Both girls nodded in tandem, sympathizing with the out of towner.

It was really the worst time to visit their beloved hometown.