Chapter Six: Gambit

Chapter Six Gambit:

Tuesday June 5th 1724

I couldn't believe I was so stupid. Packo played us like a goddamned fiddle. I should have been more suspicious when he said he'd heard of me. Because of my shortsightedness and stupidity, Minerva was gone. I didn't bother going back down to the Grand Chasm, I knew I'd never find Packo.

I went down to the bar and ordered a sundrop, racking my brain for answers. How was I going to get Minerva back? I was never going to find Packo. I could use the bond like some kind of hotter-colder device, but in the twisting tunnels of the Chasm, that was a real stab in the dark. No, I was only going back to that room if Packo wanted me there.

So what were my other options? I rifled through Minerva's memories but found she was dragged through a portal while she slept and awoke on the other side.

Getting another idea, I decided to tap into what she was seeing at that exact moment. That violated every rule we'd agreed on when it came to privacy, but that one was out the window.

I closed my eyes and focused, allowing my consciousness to traverse the bond until it reached the other end, where I could see what Minerva was seeing.

She was laughing.

"Oh, you must have some kind of death wish." She said in Suli, having learned it with me, excitement welling up inside her. "You obviously know what you've done, 'cause I don't think I'd be here if you didn't."

"Right you are, miss." Packo nodded evenly. "You're a demon who's kept Redmond a young man for the last thirty years."

"Not exactly my intention, but you're sorta on the money. It's a side effect of our bond," then she gave a little mock pout. "Sadly, I can't do the same to you. I can only be bonded to one person, and he's probably out of his mind with worry looking for me. Now if you know what's good for you, you'll portal me back to my room so I can get back to sleep."

"Oh-ho, I'm afraid I know all too well what's good for me, else you wouldn't still be here," he said with bravado and a laugh. "I just keep learning things that make me more curious. A demonic bond that keeps one young forever, not to mention whatever else you can do, I think I'll keep you around for a bit longer."

"Well, Redmond, you can't say I didn't give him a chance."

A sigil appeared beneath Packo, very similar to the ones she used on the train. Before it could activate, an unseen force knocked him off of it. The sigil flashed out of existence as it activated without a target.

Minerva looked over to see the shaman across the room, still wordless, his hand outstretched.

"Sharp as ever, shaman," Packo said approvingly, dusting himself off. "I'll have to raise your pay for that one."

"That was fast," Minerva said, just as approvingly. "I have to say, no one's ever escaped that one before."

The shaman said nothing, his eyes narrowing.

"I see you can't talk the talk," she chuckled. "Let's see if you can do a little walk."

She summoned spears out of several smaller sigils around the room but the shaman dodged them with agility to rival Artemis Blaine. Minerva flew upwards to avoid a potential counter-attack as the shaman weaved towards her between the spears. He propelled himself upwards, lightning arcing from his hands, trailing behind him as though extending forth from the ground. When he reached the apex of his jump, he threw a punch that connecting with crackling electricity.