Chapter 4

The next few weeks passed quickly and everyone on the farm was excited, the foal was to be born soon. Bella had shown signs of getting ready to go into labor that morning so everyone was getting ready for the newest four-legged member of their family. Annalisa couldn’t wait for the foal to arrive; she was constantly with Bella making sure everything was ok. The vet was on speed dial in case of emergency, they had towels for rubbing the foal down if they needed to and wraps for the mother’s tail.

“Anna, it’s time to come inside. Dinner’s ready,” Adelinda said as she walked into the stable, “One of the stable hands will stay with her.”

After dinner, Annalisa fell asleep in the living room while spending time with her aunt and Dai who would be spending the night. Luke walked in to let Adelinda know that Bella wouldn’t be going into labor for a while and found the kids asleep on the floor. He grabbed a blanket off the couch and covered the kids up then quietly left the room with Adelinda to talk. Adelinda led the way to her office where they went in and closed the door behind them canceling the chance of anyone listening in.

Hours passed and Annalisa suddenly woke up on the floor of the pitch-dark living room. She quietly slid out from under the blanket without waking Dai and snuck out to the stable. The stable hand that was supposed to be keeping an eye on Bella had fallen asleep so she was able to sneak into that stall without being noticed.  Annalisa watched silently as Bella paced and acted uncomfortable. This went on for hours and Annalisa started to fall asleep. Annalisa heard Bella lay down at the other side of the stall and then all was quiet for about half an hour.

Next thing she knew, Luke was shaking her awake. He gestured for her to stay silent and pointed towards Bella. Annalisa looked and saw Bella cleaning the new foal. As they watched, the foal struggled to its feet and stumbled closer to Bella where the foal started to nurse. Since it was only around three in the morning, Luke nudged Annalisa’s arm and led her out of the stable.

“You should be in bed little lady. You know you weren’t supposed to go into the stall, what if she had gotten protective of her foal and charged you?” Luke asked as he walked her back to the house, “You could have gotten hurt. Now you get on upstairs and get in bed where you belong understood? I need to go keep an eye on the new foal.” Luke gave her a stern look then turned and hurried back to the stable.

Annalisa ran quickly and quietly up to her room and climbed into the inner part of her bed where she fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

“Anna! Anna wake up!” Anna heard someone calling, “ANNA! Come on! Bella had her foal! Auntie Adelinda said that she was going to see if it’s a boy or a girl. Let’s go!” Dai excited pulled on Annalisa’s arm to get her out of bed. They ran down stairs and out to the stable where they slowed to a walk as they entered the stable.

“Aunt Adelinda!” Annalisa smiled excitedly at her aunt, “what is it? What is the foal? Did she have a boy or a girl?”

“Calm down Anna, first of all Bella and her foal are both perfectly healthy. The vet checked them both over this morning and did a gender check.” Adelinda told them, “The foal is a healthy baby….” She cut off pausing for effect.

“Tell us!” the kids whined.

“It’s a girl! Bella had a little filly,” Adelinda laughed. She watched the kids go over to the stall and look in at the filly. She saw a light in her niece’s eyes that made Adelinda decide that the foal would be the little girl and her project. It would give them something to bond over and would give Annalisa something to focus on when Dai is gone in a month.

A/N  I know that it is short, but I couldn't think of what to write here. If you like it then please let me know. Leave me a comment saying what you like, don't like, want to see happen, anything lol!  I don't have a set plan for this story, only a very loose idea of things that will happen at some point