Chapter Two

RECAP OF CHAPTER ONE:

Wait to go, Emma. It’s only your first day and you’ve already unintentionally harassed a band member.

I started to panic at the thought. What if he complained? What if he told someone?

I imagined how Jessica would react if she heard about my behavior. I had a sinking feeling she'd jump on any opportunity to fire me...

Only I could manage to get kicked off the tour before it even started.

***

“I need you to arrange the airline tickets for the tour dates in July- go to Bethany, she’ll tell you those- and check in with Bruce about the reservations for this weekend. And ask Tyler if he fixed that broken light.”

I nodded like I knew who all those people were.

“And reschedule the WWZZ Radio Station interview for 9 o’clock Monday. Make sure you tell them to double their security staff. In fact, just tell Max to contact them. And I want a schedule printed out for the Beacon Theater concert.”

“Okay.” I said weakly. My stomach growled loudly.

“And Emma?”

“Yes?” I said, wincing, wondering what could possibly be left for me to do.

“Heat up my coffee. The kitchen is down the hall on the right.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. Coffee. I could do coffee.

Apparently Harry Styles hadn’t thought it necessary to have me kicked off the tour, but I was starting to wish that he had.

Yesterday, we arrived in Fairfax, Virginia to kick off the very first concert of the tour. And if I had thought my first day was bad, today made it look easy. I woke up at five o’clock this morning and been running errands for Jessica ever since. It was horrible. She’d barely given me a break all day. Now it was four in the afternoon, still two hours before the concert even started, and I was completely exhausted. And hungry. I was really hungry.

I stared down at the coffee in my hand, realizing I had forgotten all the other things she had asked me to do.

I groaned. I was screwing up again.

After feeling terrified of being fired on the first day, I realized that I really couldn’t afford to take any more chances. I promised myself that I would really try to do this job right, even if it meant having to put up with Jessica. But so far it’s been a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was really only able to do half of what Jessica asked me to do, anyways. Most of the time I had no idea what the hell she was talking about.  I was even starting to think she was just making up these jobs to stress me out.

In fact, I was sure she was just making up these jobs to stress me out.

But I was still going to try.

I had to.

I shuffled down the hall to the kitchen, Jessica’s half- filled coffee cup sloshing around in my hand. I entered the large room, looking for a microwave, when my eyes landed on something else instead.

Food.  

Lining the kitchen countertops were numerous trays of snack and finger food, all neatly laid out for the staff. I stared, wide eyed, at all the platters. How had I not found this earlier?

My stomach growled again.

Without a second thought I ran over and grabbed the first thing I saw, a piece of bread, and shoved it into my mouth. I involuntarily moaned when I took the first bite. I turned to plate of different cheeses, shoving about three different kinds in my mouth at once. I skipped down to the end, my eyes widening as I took in the huge selection of pastries, cookies, doughnuts, brownies, and cake. I ate an entire doughnut in about three bites, and then moved on to eat three chocolate brownies.