Chapter 1

The fucking heat is definitely getting to me.

What I would give for an ice cold bath with some bubblies right about now. I try my best to make myself comfortable in this God forsaken heat, wiping off the excess sweat with an old tattered rag soaked with water from the river I found in the Humvee. Even with my dark hair up on a tight ponytail, my tank top was already somewhat soaked mostly from the water, but the sweat's there alright.

We were supposed to have a briefing on our next assignment, still waiting on the Boss Man to finish up his call with the general. Now that I think about it, it is a little weird deploying to site before briefing us. It wasn't unusual, but the general usually gives us the gist at least before sending us to unknown, not to mention hot ass, territory.

"Hey El, are you in or what?" I turned around seeing Pooch already pulling small wooden crates around the makeshift table. Intrigued, I approached the man, trying to figure out which game we were going to play. It's not that I'm a gambler; the only thing I gamble really is my life. However, knowing how cocky Jensen was, I wouldn't mind winning that sweet piece he got from the Honduran general.

"As long as we don't play Black Jack, I'm game." I said, taking my seat at the table. I shuffled the cards, looking to Jensen expectantly.

"Jensen, come on! Stop playing with yourself already." I yelled at the man child playing with his boy toys. The thing about Jensen is I've known him for almost three years. Him forcing Godzilla to hump a stegosaurus was not that big of a deal. What ever made him happy, as long as it does not involve annoying me, I support his quirks.

Jensen looked up from his visual aid, careful not to hurt the stegosaurus with Godzilla, "Well if you'd like, you can play with me Ely. You know I won't mind." He hollered back, wiggling his brows silly, exaggeratingly smashing the toys together, making me snort back a laugh. "Besides, I'd rather not get cheated on again." He turned his squinted eyes to Pooch, his eyes daring him to say no.

Pooch stared back incredulously, "The Pooch may lie, the Pooch may steal, the Pooch may—"

"—the Pooch may refer to himself in the third person."

"Occasionally. But the Pooch will not cheat." He said, waving a stick he found on the ground, trying to make his point as he flings it around. Jensen took his place next to Pooch, taking the from me, examining it with suspicion.

"The Pooch can relax, I think he meant Cougar anyway." I said, smirking at Cougar's direction. He stood a little ways off cleaning his equipment. At the sound of his name, Cougar looked up and chuckled. He sets his equipment against the Humvee, walking towards the table, staring me down; his eyes held no intimidation, just mirth. In all the years I've known him, for me Cougar will always be the steely eyed light hearted huggable teddy bear with a side of sniper. We've known each other since before the Losers were band together. We became unofficial partners in the field back in Turkmenistan after a few field exercises. Honestly, I have no idea how Cougar got along with me the way he did. Besides my then non strategic approach in combat, my temper was another thing. Not that I would walk around sneering and yelling at people, I just have triggers. All women has triggers. And no, that's not sexist, it's just a fact. Cougar was the one who could always rein me in though.

Speaking of the devil, he took his place next to me still with that smirk on his face, placing his arm casually over my shoulder, "What was that?" he whispered, his thick accent making me smile.

"Nothing." I replied overly cheery, trying to act innocent as I leaned against him, staring at an oh so interesting leaf on the table. I feel his chest rumble, chuckling at me. The close proximity was nothing new to the team. It wasn't like we were an item or anything, we just enjoy each other's company like this.