4. The Game

Friday, September 14th, 1945

In the center of the common room, at a small chess table, was Tom Riddle. The oak chair he was seated in was acute enough that his long legs were sprawled beneath the table, reaching the other side. When Annie sat before him, she kept her feet as close as possible so they wouldn't touch his.

He was reclined as smugly as she had imagined, smiling over at her. Even his posture was perfect. She was simply grateful that she didn't have to stand in his presence.

The room was packed with bodies; kids huddled closely together, whispering against the walls. Some had managed to find seats on the couches or small chairs. The whole thing had been so blown out of proportion that Annie felt as if she were in a novel.

Ignoring the prying eyes of her classmates, she broke the ice with, "How are you this evening, Mr. Head Boy?"

Riddle's hands were folded neatly in his lap, but she felt like he was brandishing that wand once more, as his eyes settled on her. There was a smile in his voice, "Well it's a nice evening, I can't complain."

There was an awfully long silence between the two competitors. Riddle's friends were all standing near the hearth, joined by Fionnula and Lucy. The lot of them stood on his side, and Annie was overcome with the sense that nobody in the room expected her to win.

"Yourself?" Riddle asked.

"I'm quite good, thank you." She spoke quickly, so as to break the tension and begin. The students in the room were sitting eagerly, prepared for a quick game.

Anger coursed through her once again, and she clenched her fists within her robes. Of course she wanted to get this over with. Even more so when she glanced over to Lucy and the others, whose eyes were urgently pasted on Riddle and Kiggins. Of course, she didn't want to stay longer than necessary.

But beginning the challenge would mean no going back. Before she did so, she needed to know what she was risking.

Leaning forward with her arms crossed on the table, Annie began, "Before we start, I need to know what I'm betting."

He brought his hands onto the table, folding them gently over each other as he considered her. "Well you can ask for whatever you'd like. I believe I've already mentioned that I prefer to keep my end until I've won."

"I never agreed to that," she spoke softly, "Acting in such a mysterious manner is a sure way to make someone reconsider a bet."

Riddle tilted his head, and glanced down at her fidgeting hands, "I can't tell if your apprehension stems from your need to prove yourself or your fear of what I might take when I win."

"Well, it's not difficult to question your behavior. But considering my history with the game, it's not losing to you that worries me."

"Then you'll have nothing to fear," he reached out to touch the head of a knight, as if polishing its surface. "Or is it the audience that unnerves you? If that's the case we can easily take this somewhere secluded." At Annie's stunned expression, Riddle chuckled, "Of course our dear friends will join us."

"Yes, I'm sure as head boy the school is your oyster," she leaned further into the table, pinning her eyes on him. "I'm staying here. I just ask kindly that we at least set guidelines for this bet, since I don't know you personally, I think it would be entirely inappropriate to put such trust in you."

Throughout the room, many students had begun groaning in annoyance, itching for the exciting match to begin.

Lucy pulled away from the wall and hissed, "If you don't play the damned game I will."