PROLOGUE

The crumpled autumn leaves smacked me in the face with a sting. The first thing I saw after the huge bunch had been pelted into my face was Hector's guilty grin, as he stood smugly in front of me with another cluster already formed in his hands. 

"That's not fair, you caught me off guard!" I complained. 

This was one of the many ways Hector had tortured me over the years. We lived on the edge of town, and our street only had a few houses, so being the only other person his age in the area meant that outside of school all of his interest turned to me. 

I've always looked forward to the day that he'll be old enough to drive, then he could go meet with his actual friends and I'd be able to walk down the street without being harassed.

"Quit whining Peggs."

"Peggy."

"Same thing."

"You know it's not. And I was just trying to put the bins out, so quit throwing leaves at me."

"But what else am I supposed to do?"

For a thirteen year old, he was taking his time to discover video games. 

"I don't care Hector, as long as it doesn't involve me."

He rolled his eyes at me, a look I had witnessed far too often. But I didn't have time for his games, I needed to go back inside for dinner where I was safe from being attacked by his handfuls of leaves. Besides, I definitely wasn't in the mood to spend time with Hector. 

As I made my way back inside, Hector shouted to me before he retreated back to his own home a few houses down.

"Fine, it's your loss! See you in school Peggs."

"Peggy." I muttered under my breath.

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes, see you in school. While Hector dedicated all his time at home to irritating me for the past thirteen years, he has never once bothered to acknowledge me in the same way at school. I can't complain, because I don't think I could cope with his annoyance at school too, but his denial about pretending I don't exist out of the confines our street was frustrating to say the least. 

I tried to keep to myself as much as possible at school anyway. My dad was very cautious about how many friends I had. Any mistakes I make are much easier to cover up with less eyes watching. 

As much as I was average in pretty much every category - my looks, my grades, and the amount of effort I put into any extracurricular activities - there was something in a particular that would make me stand out, if anyone other than me and my dad knew. 

I took one last look out at the darkened street, Hector was out of sight now and I couldn't help but be relieved to think I'd get some distance from him at school tomorrow.

But little did I know, that encounter would be the last time I saw him before my dad suddenly packed us up that night and made us leave Stonewood indefinitely.