CHAPTER SIX (Part Two)

When someone rapped on the door of her sitting-room, Eliza Gilbert glanced at the clock on the mantel. It was getting on for ten o’clock. It could be no one else but dear Leopold.

She smiled smugly to herself and primped her curls and ringlets. He was very keen. It would not be long now before she had her reward for which she had been longing for many years. The privileged life as Sir Leopold Trevellian’s legal wife was justly hers and no one would take it from her.

She opened the door with a coy welcoming smile on her face but was filled with consternation to see Cedric Trevellian standing outside.

She straightened her features quickly. ‘Mr Cedric? What is wrong at this time of night?’

‘I know its late Mrs Gilbert, but this is a matter that cannot wait until morning.’

‘Whatever is it? Is Leo – I mean, is Sir Leopold ill?’

‘May I come in?’

She stepped aside to allow him to enter. It crossed her mind that he had come to reprimand her for something, and was immediately on her guard.

 ‘This has nothing to do with my father,’ Cedric said as he stood in the centre of the room facing her. ‘It’s about Pricilla.’

‘Oh.’ Eliza’s apprehension settled a little.

It was clear Cedric knew of her relationship with his father. His keen disapproval showed in his eyes each time he looked her way. But there was nothing he could do about it, she thought smugly. Sir Leopold was master of this house and she was mistress, in all but name. That would soon change.

‘As from now,’ Cedric continued. ‘Rosalind, her companion, will have full and complete charge of my daughter’s day to day routine. You need trouble yourself no further.’

‘What?’

‘We feel, Rosalind and I, that your control of Pricilla is restricting her experience and enjoyment now that she is leaving her childhood behind,’ he said. ‘As she grows towards womanhood she will need guidance and Rosalind will better provide that.’

His tone was so off-hand and dismissive that Eliza felt her hackles rise.

‘I doubt that!’ she opined loudly.

‘What?’

‘It’s plain to see that conniving strumpet has got her claws into you, too,’ Eliza continued angrily. ‘It was a sorry day when the likes of her came into this house.’

He looked startled. ‘I beg your pardon, Mrs Gilbert. I think you forget who you are speaking to,’ Cedric exclaimed. ‘You’d do well to consider your place.’

She was not alarmed by his implied threat. ‘My place as you put it is at your father’s side,’ Eliza said emphatically. ‘I’m his wife in all but name. I have a right to run this household as I see fit.’

Cedric’s expression turned cold. ‘Have you no shame, woman? If ever there was a need to separate you from my daughter your scandalous liaison with my father is reason enough.’

‘How dare you! Leopold shall hear of this insult.’

‘I don’t doubt it,’ Cedric said firmly. ‘But remember this. You’ll concern yourself with household matters from now on and nothing more or I’ll petition my father for your dismissal.’ 

‘He doesn’t heed your advice in other matters,’ Eliza sneered. ‘I doubt you have any influence over him, especially where his comforts lie.’