Lukes Prologue

'I'm gay'

I decided that's exactly how I would say it. Just blurt it all out at once. I knew that if I kept speaking I would back out and my problems wouldn't go away.

I was desperately afraid of how my family would react. I knew my brothers would understand. I'm sure they will love me no matter what.

I'm not too sure Mark though. He hasn't really made it a secret about his hatred for my type of lifestyle. He can't help the occasional outburst at someone who decides to publicly show affection for the opposite sex.

My father is what you could call a 'staunch catholic'. If the church does not condone it, then it is banned from the house. I'm sure that even if I had sex I would be disowned, let alone if it was with another guy.

My mom is more understanding, but my dad is her whole world. It's obvious how much she adores him. I'm sure that my mother loves me but if I was in a fight with my dad, it's obvious who wins in her eyes. My brothers at least have their own opinion, which doesn't have to e affected by religion or my father.

"I'm gay"

If this weren't such a serious issue, I would have laughed at my family's faces. My brothers had a look of confusion on their faces with their eyebrows raised in the air. My mother raised a hand slowly to her mouth and closed her eyes, as if saying a prayer quietly to herself. My father, well it looks like he took it the worse. I could clearly see his clenched fists as his face turned from one of surprisement to quickly a look of pure anger.

Her murmured something to himself that I don't quite catch. My mom does however.

"No Mark, you can't" my mom said quietly, like she her voice would crack if she said it any louder.

"Goddamn it Beth I can do what I want." He turns to look at me, fury clearly placed on his face. "You" he spat at me. "I'm going to give you 10 minutes to pack your things, leave this fucking house and then get the hell out of my life"

"But dad-"

"And after you have left this house I never want to see your face again for as long as I live" he says. His face is completely stone and he shows no emotion other than complete frustration. My brothers look gobsmacked between me and dad but I can't look back at them, in the fears that I will start crying.

"Did you hear me? Your ten minutes start now" my dad whispers. I almost don't hear the last part he says, but I'm sorry that I do. "You are no longer my son. You are dead to me."

I don't even try to defend myself. I can't move my mouth at all. It takes all of my strength to leave the room and head upstairs. The room is completely silent as I leave.

It's only when I reach my own room that the screaming begins.

"CAN YOU JUST SHUT UP FOR ONE SECOND BETH" I close my eyes and try shut it out but I can hear everything.

"Dad you can't do this!"

"SHUT UP BOY, UNLESS YOU WANT TO JOIN YOUR FAGGOT BROTHER"

"I WANT EVERYONE TO LEAVE ME ALONE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR AND DONT COME NEAR ME!" I hear my dad say, and a slam of a door

I start to pack my bags because I don't want to be here by the time he gets back. I pack as much as I can because a small feeling in my gut tells me I won't be coming back for a while.

When I go back downstairs I can only see my mom in the sitting room. She is staring thoughtfully out the window on her favourite chair. My brothers are nowhere to be seen.

"Where are-"

"They're upstairs Luke" she says absentmindedly not even looking at me. I make my way to the stairs to say goodbye to them but I'm stopped by my mom.

"Don't" she croaks. I freeze in place.

"Just go" she replies.

"What?"

"I said just go, Luke. Please." I notice a single tear rolling down her face.

"Wh- what do you mean mom?" I ask and my voice breaks.

"Please Luke, just go somewhere, anywhere. Just not here" I can't beeline this. No, not my mom. I thought she would understand me.

"Mom, why are you saying this?" I ask, my throat slowly getting tighter and tighter.

"I love you Luke, but I also love your father" she says, turning her head towards me. "Just leave, for me, I can't live without him."

I don't need to hear anything else. To hear my own mother tell me to leave sends me over the edge. Without another glance, I pick up my packed suitcase and run out of the door. I notice that my fathers car isn't in the driveway. I don't care.

The nearest bus stop is only a couple of minute away so I start walking towards it, trying to decide my plan on the way.

It's a shame I haven't got to many friends here. At least it's less people to miss me.

When I arrive at the bus stop, immediately hop onto the first bus that arrives.

"One way to wherever the hell your going" I say to the driver, pulling out my change.

"Ravenstown it is"