Part 6

Part IV: Ralph

Chapter 18

The alarm beeps sharply at 6:00 am. I grab my phone and click around to turn it off before turning the other way with a pillow over my head. About fifteen minutes later, the alarm beeps again. This time, I use the pillow to knock my phone. Of course, the alarm doesn't stop, but I'm just too lazy to reach for it again. I let it ring for a few more minutes before I get up feeling groggy.

Well, I'm already up, I mind as well brush my teeth.

I do just that and walk towards the dining room for breakfast with my parents. Before I leave, close my door.

Mom will probably scold me about the mess again. Oh well.

"Good morning," I say half asleep to pour a cup of coffee. I pull out my chair and have a seat.

Where the heck is everyone? Mom isn't even here to make breakfast. What day is it?

I pull out my phone.

Oh, right.

I head to the refrigerator when I pull out my meal prepped breakfast mom made with a note on it, "Had a flight to meet some clients. I will be back soon."

I warm up the pancakes with sausage and had breakfast alone in front of the TV. My parents are hotel owners, so they frequently fly out to see different properties.

After breakfast, I put my plate in the sink, and off to my chores. My mom has a Japanese garden that I maintain every day because each plant has a specific requirement to take care of them.

Hello.

I drop the watering pot.

Aww, man.

I grab it back and dust off the dirt. I thought I had heard something, but there is no one here.

Hi.

The Reaper crystalizes in front of me.

"W-whoa!" I gasp, almost falling not out of fear, but because I was surprised.

Heh, heh, heh. I have a deal for you.

I don't say a thing to let him finish speaking.

You have a choice to add 7 years into your life, but it comes with the expense of death. If you don't kill anyone you made a personal connection to within 4 days, then your parents will die by a plane crash.

"What! How is that even fair!" I yell.

I don't have to be fair. I just have to kill and collect souls. Be grateful I even give you a choice.

With that, he vanished into thin air. My stomach feels like it's in knots and I lay on the grass, flabbergasted.

I thought today would be a good day too.