Chapter Twenty-Eight

I didn't move. His face was peaceful and composed, revealing nothing. I stared at his arms and chest, lean and powerful. And even that didn't matter. Yisu's reed-like arms could probably have ripped a hole into the hull of the boat I was standing on. With his powerful frame, I didn't doubt for a moment he could do exactly as he threatened.

    After sighing quietly, resigned, I placed my hand in his. Tem stepped forward suddenly and took my upper arm, pulling me toward him.

    A group of men swirled and moved in front of me. They were all moving, crouched, and ready to close in on something in the center. One man close to me changed his weight, and I saw Tem standing in the middle. He had a cloth tied elaborately around his hips. Metal bands circled his biceps and wrists. He had the same long hair with beads and shells decorating the thick locks. I blinked and stepped closer as I saw his skin. Hundreds of thin scars covered his body from his shoulders to his pelvis in a complicated geometric design. It was chilling and beautiful at the same time. He spun and I saw the design continued onto his back.

    The men around him closed in. They wore similar elaborately arranged cloth around their hips and most had metal rings around their arms or ankles but some instinct I couldn't name told me Tem was more richly clothed. He turned slowly and bent his knees ready to spring.

    He dragged me gently across the deck and onto the dock. Then he directed me toward some aluminum steps that connected it to the street. He made me climb up in front of him, and I was acutely aware he could see all the way up my legs. I started to laugh. Despite the danger, I was still so self-conscious.

    His motorcycle was still parked across the street. A thick leather jacket was draped across the seat. He picked it up and handed it to me. I realized I was shivering slightly and took it. He never spoke. He just took my elbow and guided me down the street. I followed him blindly; I had no choice, the hair on the back of my neck trembling with each step. 

    Tem lead me toward a large door of the building I had just escaped. A few men nearby watched me— some with interest and others with disgust. My cheeks burned with embarrassment as I thought of my cotton nightgown again. I was not dressed appropriately. There was nothing I could do. I turned my back on them and straightened my spine as I followed Tem through the door.          

    A man with dark hair and a Metallica tour t-shirt met us at the entrance. He stepped back in surprise as Tem pulled me in behind him.

    "Kim o?" he asked, swiveling his eyes between Tem and me.   

    Tem glanced at him for a moment and stepped away. "Kiz Amerikalı."

    The man turned and smiled, somehow managing to make it look like a sneer. Tem didn't seem to notice and turned back toward me, "You won't need that anymore." I looked down at his jacket, still draped around my shoulders in surprise. I'd forgotten about it. I shrugged it off and handed it back, holding it out at arm's length and fixed a hard look on him. He locked eyes with me for a moment in interest and then took the jacket.

    The other man never took his eyes off me.

    "Özgür!" Tem barked at him. He snapped his head around and looked at Tem.

"Ona bir oda bul." I supposed Özgür was the man's name. He nodded once and grabbed my arm possessively. He pulled, and I followed him up a flight of stairs. For a moment, I turned and looked back at Tem. He watched me go, a strange expression on his face, and then walked away. We climb several flights of stairs and then turned down a dark hallway. There were five doors; only one of them was open. I craned my head and saw it was some kind of small office. We passed it, and he stopped at the third door across from it. He pulled out a set of keys, and while holding onto my arm with his left hand, he unlocked it.