Chapter VI: Complications

Chapter Six: Complications

            Although Delrand flitted over the buildings, I could sense an edge to his movements and even his thoughts seemed to have a sharpness to them. He landed on a building and flapped his wings a few times, followed by three squawks. The building he had perched himself on was clearly a house; it had two storeys and few windows. The thatched roof, however, seemed to bring the wooden beamed walls together and make it look rather homely. From where I remained outside, I could not tell if it was still inhabited; that was until someone opened the door. It was clearly not because I was there and staring at their home but to throw away some unused food into the villages pig pen.

            Turning my attention back to Delrand, I spoke to him in our secret way. Is he family to you?

            I do not know but it is possible that he might be a younger brother. Or perhaps even a cousin, I did not know much of my family before I left and even less when I did. I never returned here once Merlin took me in. I suppose it is highly possible that my parents had another child after I ran away since I was their only son.

            I glanced around a few times, privately keeping an eye on the potential future brother-in-law I might one day have. Do you think he knows? About you, I mean.

            He dove back down to my shoulder. I doubt my parents would expose the truth about such a troublesome offspring. So no, I do not think he would know though perhaps that I ran away but not why. And I do not plan on asking him or revealing myself to him.

            ‘And why not?’ I asked out loud turning to face him. Before Delrand could answer, I noticed a few people staring at me. With a cough, I urged Rose on just as Lancelot and the others rode into the village’s centre.

            That is not important right now, he said just as I joined my brothers-in-arms. As usual I let Bors and Gawain explain why we were there and who the other people were; the only extra bit for me to add was that I would not make anyone leave their home and the people from the village invaded by Saxons were going to stay here (if they wanted). I was just explaining the food and supplies issue when I was interrupted.

            ‘And why should we help you?’ To my surprise it was the same young man who had come out of Delrand’s old house. ‘Every trouble we have had in the past we had to sort out ourselves. None of it ever seemed to pass to the king’s ears or yours as a matter of fact.’

            What he said did not go well with Bors at all. ‘As a matter of fact, we would have helped or sent help if we had heard of any trouble.’

            ‘Bors, stop,’ I ordered. He had hopped down off his saddle before he spoke. ‘I do apologise but we cannot help the outreaches so easily.’

            ‘You say that but you’re all safe up in that castle of yours.’ The man began to step over to me; to which a few things happened. Bors unsheathed his sword, Gawain took out one of his daggers, Tristan nocked an arrow to his bow and it was a massive overreaction. Unfortunately, before I could stop him too, Delrand hovered in front of the man’s face and flapped his wings. The man hit him out of the way towards the ground where Delrand changed to the wolf I had long ago seen him as. None of this was helping one bit. ‘Uh, men,’ I huffed to myself. ‘Alright, enough!’ I shouted, unseating myself at the same time.

            I’m not hurt, Delrand said when I gave him a worried glance. He swished his tail around to one side and then sat calmly on his haunches.