Chapter 16

The four of them were standing in front of the dark mansion of Octostein. The cold wind blew into their faces, and their coats blew around in the wind. When the townsfolk had reached them, they had searched the wreckage for Delta's ink and found a big puddle of red ink alongside burnt clothes under it. 

They had rested in the town for a few days but then set out east to Inkopolis Castle. On the way, they had made a stop in Carptown to buy new weapons, since their old ones were destroyed in the fight. 

The Gunslinger was holding new dualies, made of silver, and had waves engraved into both. The Assassin had a completely new charger, one that had a lot longer range and a much better scope. She preferred to take the scope off when in close combat. 

The Scientist has made a completely new model of the brella, one that was way sturdier, had a stronger and bigger canopy and was far more accurate. 

The Warrior held a new roller. He was lighter, which made fighting close combat way easier. But Delta had damaged her sword hand, so she was forced to use her other hand.

 When they made it to Inkopolis, they had sent word to the Lord that the Shadowling was dead and that Octostein was behind it. Then they had gone straight to where his mansion was. 

The Scientist looked at the others with concern in her eyes. "Shouldn't we wait for the royal peacekeepers to arrive?" she asked and looked at the mansion. It looked completely abandoned, except for one little light source shining through one window. "How do we know there aren't fourteen other Deltas waiting for us in there?"

The others didn't take their eyes off the mansion. "We don't," the Gunslinger said. "If we wait, he might see them coming and escape. Our plan will be to go in there and capture him. Plus, we all want revenge for what we went through that night. And I don't want the peacekeepers to get in our way."

The Assassin looked at her. "Pretty rough things coming from someone who hates lawbreakers," she said and smiled. The Scientist looked at them both. "We won't kill him, will we?" she asked with hesitation in her voice. 

The Gunslinger looked at her. "Of course not, he has to answer for his crimes," she said. "But he doesn't necessarily have to be in perfect conditions."

The Assassin smiled. "And if there are fourteen other Deltas in there, well then it was really nice to meet ya," she said and smirked. The Warrior stared at the house with determination in her eyes. "He hurt people," she said through her clenched teeth. "And I'm gonna make the little shit pay for it!"

Her eyes burned with rage, and she gripped her roller so hard her hands turned white. 

"Well, you will," the Assassin said. "But to do that we have to be inside, and we've been standing out in this damn wind blathering for five or so minutes. Either we need a lot of preparations or we're just too scared to go inside. And now that I've mentioned that, I might as well be the one to break the ice and be the first one in."

When she finished, she walked towards the door of the house. The others followed close behind her, relieved that someone had offered to go in first. The Assassin took the doorknob and pulled, but it was locked. "Don't worry, I got this," the Gunslinger said and bent down. "I always have to pick these locks."

She pulled out a little thief knife and put it into the keyhole. But before she could start, the Assassin raised her charger over her head and slammed it into the door handle, knocking it off the door. 

The door opened instantly, and the Gunslinger almost fell backward. "What a way to make a sneaky entrance," she murmured and dusted her clothes. "Your solution would've taken too long, plus the knob was old, so it was already loose," the Assassin whispered over her back. "Now can you keep quiet, we're trying to get in here unnoticed!"