Prologue: Darkness

“Freedom for me is all I’m really wanting, needing.

                        Give me power to break out

I can’t hold on for any longer.

                        My time has come to end it all…”

                                                --Epica, ‘Unleashed’

Darkness. If there was anything she could remember, it was the pure, seemingly unending darkness. It enveloped her entire being, threatening to swallow her whole. A miniscule speck of light in the hall outside her cell was the only thing keeping it from doing so. It was barely visible, as the lantern emitting the light was hanging on the wall just around the corner.

She had never been afraid of the darkness. She had always accepted it, never having a single fear. But now, in this cold dark place where light rarely smiled upon her, she was beginning to lose some of that bravery. Her heart pounded, her mind raced as she continued to be smothered in shadow.

 The darkness was accompanied by a fierce chill. It was alarming how frigid the air was, causing her to shiver countless times and raising goose bumps on her skin. This was not a cold that came with the winds of winter. No, this chill was the icy hand of death. It had a tight hold on the atmosphere, sending shivers down her spine.

 She sat on the dusty stone floor of her cell with her back against the wall. Her knees were pulled up to her chest, and she hugged them tightly. Her tan dress was tattered and torn, unable to provide any warmth or protection. The fair skin on her limbs bore a plethora of scrapes and bruises beginning to turn purple.  Emerald green eyes widened every time another one died.

 She knew who her captors were, but she didn’t care. In those days, all she knew was that her family and friends were trapped in this forsaken place, and every day another one was slain without mercy. She was imprisoned here, forced to listen to her brethren’s cries of agony as their lives were snuffed out, one by one.  The manner in which they were killed must have been so brutal and savage in order to evoke such terrifying sounds. Her body shuddered, her eyes widened, her hands clenched her legs tighter, when a scream echoed in her ears. Even their spirits wailed in anguish, their deaths sudden and horrifying. It was heartbreaking feeling their souls leaving their bodies.

 Her sensitive ears heard the spirits. Their cries sent tears spilling down her pale cheeks as she imagined what tragedies were befalling them right down the hall. It broke her heart even more, as they were all people she knew. The friendly baker, a family friend, a fellow hunter, and even her own mother and father. Their spirits called out to her, warning her of the dangers that waited just down the hall.

 After spending two weeks in this cursed place, only certain thoughts crossed her mind. They are going to kill me next. My life is coming to an end. What are they going to do to me? Goddess above, please make it swift.

 To pass the time, she would sing softly to herself. Sweet melodies from more pleasant times. Often the spirits would keep her company, never speaking, only listening. Her voice was filled with sorrow, droplets of water streaming down her face as she sang. None of her captors silenced her. Did they pity her? Did they enjoy hearing it? The answer always eluded her.

 How did she even end up here? It seemed like it was only a few days ago that she was running through the fields and forests of her homeland, laughing with her family. Her mother would bake them warm bread when they returned home. There was nothing quite like her mother’s delicious pumpkin bread.  Her father would return from hunting with his energy spent, yet he could still find the will to help his little girl clean the house. Then there was her brother, who would always find some way to tease her. This was a pleasant life she grew accustomed to, until they came.