Chapter 9

Main Character's P.O.V.

I readied to launch myself over the fence when the sound of thudding footsteps reached my ears.  I turned, just in time to see the Widow come into sight, followed by the man with the arrows. 

"There you are!" she exclaimed, stopping to catch her breath. She looked mildly relieved to have found me but I noticed arrow boys fingers were twitching, no doubt ready, and willing,  to shoot me, if I made a move against Natasha. "Hey," Natasha called bringing my attention back to her, eyebrows furrowing as she noticed my stoic expression.

"You're planning to escape, aren't you?" Arrow boy surmised, narrowing his eyes, hand reaching up towards his ear piece, no doubt to request help.

"I wasn't aware that I was a prisoner," I snarled, backing up almost imperceptibly towards the fence. An hour ago I was to be there associate, now I wasn't allowed to leave?

"You're not– she's not, Clint. But we saw you kill someone, then toss our recording device off of a mountain side. As you can imagine that raised some suspicion about your intentions," Widow reasoned, holding her hands out, palms forward, to show she meant no harm. 

"I was surviving," I spat, feeling so incredibly foolish to have been captured in the first place. 

"By destroying S.H.I.E.L.D.'s property?" she asked, arching one eyebrow.

"They would have tracked me down if I'd left any evidence behind!" I shouted, my hair shimmering with the rage that seemed to have materialized out of nowhere.

"Who are 'they'?" she asked, and I my blood ran cold. My mouth slammed shut with an audible snap, my angered quivering coming to an abrupt halt.

"You found her, Spide–" Tony, clad in full gear, cheered, only to freeze when he noticed my panicked expression. Bruce and the star spangled man followed him around the side of the building. 

"Who are 'they'?" Natasha demanded, eyes scouring my face for any sort of hint.

I stayed silent, afraid that if I spoke of them again they'd actually appear. 

"Who?" Bruce asked, receiving a shrug from Tony.

"Look, we want to help–" Natasha began, but I cut her off, sick of all this helping business. No one could help me now. All I could do was run and pray that my strides were longer than theirs. 

"I don't need your help. I need to leave," I mumbled, turning on my heel, bending the earth beneath my feet out of the ground and into the air. I was fast, but apparently not fast enough. 

The Iron Man had landed next to me on my little floating platform of dirt and was currently trying use the rockets in his hands to make us float downwards.

"Get off!" I hissed, my fear translating into harshness. 

"You're not going anywhere, princess," he chided, lowering us back down, past the top of the fence. 

With one huff I had propelled us at least 100 feet in the air, catching the billionaire off guard. He whipped his head from side to side and lost his footing, plummeting head first off the rock. He fell for all of three seconds before I'd caught him in a cocoon of air, depositing him safely onto the ground below. I lowered myself down on the opposite side of the fence, just out of range of the light the buildings cast.  

"We need a chopper and emergency vehicles to building 34J on the Eastern side of the compound, outside the security perimeter," Clint barked into his ear piece, while simultaneously notching an arrow.