The New Charge - Pt.1

People oftentimes feared that which they didn't understand. And hearing a million voices screaming inside your head while no one was speaking, that was definitely something people didn't understand. They classified her as weird, as insane, as someone who had snapped after suffering a great loss. They judged her, they pitied her, but most importantly they treated her like she was crazy. The more word got around that she had lost her mind completely, the more they shunned her. She was lost, she felt broken and now more than ever she felt abandoned.

The voices were overwhelming, screaming through her mind. She couldn't sleep, she couldn't breathe, every single minute she was alive she felt like she was drowning in the screaming voices that were nowhere but inside her head. They didn't shut up. They didn't go away. One day they were there and never left.

The wind rushed through her hair, further entangling the strands of the blonde mess on her head. Even the loud sounds of the bustling traffic down below wasn't loud enough to drown the torture inside her mind. There was no other solution, she craved salvation and she needed it quickly. Her gaze focused on the movement below her, they all looked like ants from her point of view and yet - so intimidating.

"It's a long way down, you know?" She snapped around at the voice behind her, her heart racing a million miles an hour. For the longest she thought she was all alone up there, and yet here stood a tall young man with blonde hair and warm hazel eyes. He looked at her with a gentle smile, a sight she hadn't seen in a long time.

"Who--" she croaked, her voice exhausted and broken by the desperation weighing on her chest. "Who are you?"

"I'm a friend," He introduced himself with the same calmth that his exterior exuded. "I'm here to help you."

"Help me?" Her voice was shaky as she looked at the man with a glaring gaze as if he had just insulted her very existence and his seemingly harmless statement might very well have done so. She shook her head in disregard, "You can't help me. No one can... No one can stop the voices in my head. Screaming. Hissing."

His brows knitted together in a careful frown. He hadn't been informed about her powers yet, he was merely notified that a new charge had been assigned and she needed his guidance desperately. All he had to go off was a name. Judging by her vague description, he could easily deduct what powers she possessed. Or at the very least, the most prominent at the moment. Telepathy. "You can stop those voices in your head."

A mocking chuckle elicited from her lips as she glared at him once more. Of course, he would say something like that, it's the exact same thing everyone else told her before abandoning her. Just stop the voices in your head, they said. They're only there because you think they're there. Just act normal. Don't act insane. As if she could just flip a switch and everything would go back to normal again. "See? You can't help me... You just look at me like I'm insane, just like everybody else."

"You're not insane, Melrose." He assured her, daring to take a careful step towards her as she was still inching close around the edge of the roof. "You're special. You're magical."

"H-how... How did you know my name?" She stuttered, confused and slowly growing more and more suspicious of the stranger before her. She hadn't introduced herself and she also had never seen this man in her life.

"Like I said... I'm a friend," He continued, taking another step towards her. He extended his arm towards her, "You have a gift, Melrose. Let me help you control it. Let me help you stop those voices."

"No... No, stay away from me!" She now screamed at him as he carefully approached her, taking a step back with every step he took forward. "Stay away fro-- AAH!" With a loud screeching cry, Melrose could only barely feel the edge of the roof disappear from underneath as she lost her balance, gravity pulled the weight of her body backward and sent her plummeting down towards the busy street below. She pinched her eyes closed as her voice continued to escape from her body, the wind cutting against her like cold knives as she prepared herself for the impact of her body hitting the pavement - praying for the suffering to stop with that.