Chapter 13: The Great Clash

The next morning, Souei went to seek out Benimaru. Kumiko had cried herself to sleep at just the prospect of Souei leaving that it had hurt Souei to see her like that. In a way, however, it made Souei happy to know that she relied and depended on him. For the once stoic Kijin, it was a gratifying feeling to know that she was comfortable to show not just her strong side around him, but also her vulnerable side. But he couldn't take it for granted.

Truthfully, Souei had forgotten that the main reason he and the rest of the Kijin were there was to avenge their fallen village. He was reminded when he had come across Orcs on his scouts, but when he finished reporting it and Kumiko came bounding over, it seemed to escape his mind.

It didn't take long for Souei to find Benimaru. Despite it being fairly early in the morning, the red Kijin was standing atop a hill facing towards where their old village was.

"Benimaru-sama," Souei bowed. He and Benimaru were close friends, but Benimaru was still the technical leader of the group of Kijin, not including Kumiko.

"Souei," Benimaru greeted back. He continued staring off into the distance.

"The battle against the orcs is approaching," Souei started, looking at Benimaru and gauging his reaction. Benimaru only nodded in agreement.

"After we have avenged our village, what will we do?" Souei got straight to the point. "Rimuru-sama gave us the choice to stay or leave once our vengeance was completed. Have you thought about our path afterwards?"

Benimaru stayed silent, not moving to look at Souei.

"Are you asking for Kumiko?" Benimaru asked. Souei didn't speak, a silent confirmation. Benimaru sighed.

"I'm not sure yet. If I choose to part ways with this village, would you stay with Kumiko or stay with me?" Benimaru finally turned to look Souei dead in his eyes. With no hesitation, Souei responded.

"I will follow you, Benimaru-sama, as I have always done. The choice is yours to make whether we, the Kijin, stay or not."

"Even if it means leaving Kumiko behind in the village?" Benimaru knew the two had bonded deeply. Even being his childhood friend, Benimaru hadn't seen Souei open up that quickly or even express himself as much as he did with Kumiko. Plus, Benimaru couldn't help but curse Souei and his oblivious flirting. This damned Kijin was a damn big flirt with Kumiko, though neither of the two involved parties seemed to realize it. To the outsiders, much of their playful bickering could easily fall under 'flirting' and the rest of the Kijin had quickly picked up on it. Benimaru raged in his thoughts about all the times that Souei had literally disappeared, only for Benimaru to find him later teasing and poking fun with Kumiko. This damn Kijin...

"Kumiko remains loyal to Rimuru-sama, as I remain to you," was all Souei said, his tone flat. Benimaru hummed, his attention back on the blue Kijin.

"Did you know," Benimaru reached a hand up and pointed to his own horns,"that Kumiko only lets you touch her horns." Souei only stared at Benimaru. Benimaru let out a slight chuckle.

"Don't try to deny it. I've seen you touch her horn before. She seemed to welcome your touch. Her reaction is quite the opposite when it comes to anyone but you." Benimaru stared at Souei, who continued blankly stared back, as if this was new information.

"Just the other day, I accidentally grazed her horn with my hand." Benimaru was slightly amused as Souei's expression darkened every so slightly with the mention of him touching Kumiko. This damn flirt and his obliviousness to his own feelings.

"It wasn't intentional," he quickly dismissed as he felt the blue Kijin's glare on him. "But the point is that she jumped back immediately and covered her horns with her hands. Yet with you, I've seen her lean into your touch." Souei didn't know what to say, but instead stared down at his hands. Was she really still that scared of her horns? She seemed perfectly fine last night when he had gently touched it outside of the Lizardmen's cave.