V) The Children

The ride had lasted for over an hour before Peter gave the signal for them to take a break. It came with great relief. The group came to a halt in a rather small glade surrounded by uncultivated bushes. It was all vivid green overgrown grass, the blades reaching mid-thigh. There was an unnatural silence; no birds singing, no animals foraging. Even the wind breathed silently, as if in grief.

Carla dismounted with practiced ease before gently lifting the sleeping child off the horse and setting him down in the grass. He was the picture of childhood innocence as he slept peacefully amongst the flowers. A child so young should never have to experience such a war. She smiled down at his sleeping form before sitting down beside him, brushing a rusty red curl from his bronze skin.

With a spring in her step, Katherine appeared beside her sister, Rebecca following closely behind, ushering the girl in front of her before Carla handed out water and apples. The girl looked very similar to the boy; her hair a tangle of unruly curls the colour of autumn leaves. She stared at the three princesses in turn; studying them with her piercing green eyes.

“You’re the princesses, aren’t you,” stated the girl when she was satisfied with her scrutiny.

Silence embraced the clearing and she nodded with a smile, as if that was all the confirmation she needed; if she’d needed any at all.

“Thank you for helping us, your highness. My brother and I are deeply indebted to you. You risked your own safety to help us.”

“Nonsense, child. You are a citizen of Asaia and therefore under my protection regardless of your status,” responded Carla, the realisation that she was queen now that her parents had been executed coming as a devastating shock.

How was she going to be a fair and just queen without a kingdom to rule? She was heir to the throne since her mother had borne no sons, but at only fifteen years of age, how could she reclaim her birth right and rule a kingdom in peace and prosperity?

“But now that you know who we are, or were, what are two children as young as yourselves doing wandering the streets in such a dangerous time – alone no less,” asked Rebecca.

“I am Arianna and this is Richard. Our father took a fever and there was no way to pay for medicine. He passed some months ago. Mother managed just fine on her own. But, not two moons ago, she went into labour. It was far too early but all the stress of the war… I tried to help her, I really did. But she died… the babe with her. I took my brother and I ran. There was nothing else to do,” explained Arianna, stopping several times to wipe the tears from her eyes “I tried to get work… but no-one will take on a girl of nine – especially during a war. We were turned out onto the streets and I’ve had to resort to stealing food where I am sure it can be spared. I’m sorry for this heinous crime, maladies, but I swear I had no choice. Ric, he depends on me…”

“Hush now, sweet girl,” soothed Rebecca, pulling the younger girl into a tight hug, rocking her backwards and forwards until her sobs ceased.

Arianna raised her head, her face blotchy red and streaked with tears of loss. With an admirable strength, she rose from her place on the grass and made her way over to Ric who was sitting up now, bleary-eyed from his sleep.

“I’m sorry for everything that’s happened to you, Arianna. These times put a strain on us,” said Carla, softly, when the girl came back over, brother on her hip.

“Milady, I am sorry to burden you with our troubles. It was not my place,” responded Arianna, bobbing an awkward curtsy before setting Ric down.

“Nonsense, Arianna,” said Katherine “It is our duty to help all of our citizens, even if we do not hold the crown. You shall ride with us, if you wish to, of course.”