Chapter 2. Best Offer

-*- Emma West -*-

I have known from the beginning that Matt wasn’t my knight in armor, or any other cliché they talk about in movies.

Matt was really great. We got along very well since day we’d first met, but I had always thought that when you’re going to meet the one, you’d definitely know. That’d be just like the movies, the stars will align and the time will just stop, and that moment your eyes meet his, nothing else would matter.

Well, it wasn’t like that with Matt. He offended my ego with his indications of good organizer, but after I got to know him, that wasn’t a problem anymore. I gave him suggestions and indications all the time and that was sort of normal between us.

But my heart doesn’t stop when I look at him, although when we touch I can feel a shiver tingling down my spine. But that doesn’t mean it is just like the movies. And that was my explication (or excuse) for not dating Matt. But I didn’t know his.

Since we’d met, almost two weeks ago, he had invited me out. To my surprise, I accepted immediately his proposal, so the next day we went my favourite café, not too far from my house. We have been there for about four hours just talking and laughing about everything. It was really weird how many things we had in common and how easy it was to talk to him. You’d think being around someone as handsome as Matt would be totally weird, but it wasn’t. Being around Matt was the most natural thing. And that made me feel a little unsure about how I felt.

I remember every time I went on a date. I’d spend the days leading to the big day feeling insecure. Then during the date I’d become quite talkative out of nervousness. And the boys were not as great as the guy standing so relaxed in front of me, with his face so bright like he had no worry in the world.

“How is everything going with the Prom thing?” he asked ending my reverie.

“Fine. It’ll be great. And your ideas were really inspiring, Matt,” I told him, all smiles. He smiled back, showing his perfect teeth. “Thank you.”

“No need to thank me,” he answered, smirking. “And who is taking you to Prom, Miss West?”

“Who is taking me to… um… Prom?”

“Yes, you know that thing you’re organizing so intensely, and the reason we met. I think that was a lucky moment, right? That’s a Prom, where students go to have fun after four, long high school years, and there is dancing, and boys invite girls… So who invited you?”

I just sat there for a minute, thinking about what he had said. In theory, Matt was right, because you have to bring a date to Prom, everybody knows that! But… Apparently I, the best planner in the school, had let that slip. A date? Five days before Prom?

And then I realized how caught up I was with everything that had happened recently, and how screwed up my life was. I didn’t have a social life, at least not an interesting one, but I had a few good friends. But… I hadn’t gone out on a date since… forever? Damn! I was acting like I had no life, being so obsessed with the organizations.

Could I have forgotten something so important? Like a date for Prom?

“Hey, you…” he spoke after a dead silence. “I’m going to ask you a question, okay?”

“Yes…” I whispered softly then I wondered if he heard my answered.

“Emma West, you don’t have a date for Prom?”

In the next moment an uncomfortable silence lingered between us. Of course I didn’t have a date! But I only knew Matt for about a week and this wasn’t the proper moment to talk about my exes and future boyfriends, and so on, and so forth. We got along just fine, but we barely knew each other.

That wasn’t actually true. I knew a lot of things about him, and I had told him a lot of things about me, but somehow two weeks felt too little to get into that kind of details.

I had no idea if he had a girlfriend. For a brief moment, I wished he hadn’t, although I don’t know why I felt like that. Matt wasn’t for me, he was too… perfect? And I don’t date players like him. Guys who look way too good to be real, and act like they own the world, and like it’s so easy to be in their shoes.

“No,” I whispered, as softly as before.

“Emma…” he paused getting closer to me, and when he talked again, he looked at me with those deep, perfect blue eyes: “That’s not a problem. I could go with you. I love those things and I am eager to see the result of your hard work. Obviously, if you want me to.”

“Are you kidding me? Going with a guy who graduated The University of Connecticut? Of course I want to!” I jumped in his arms, ignoring the shiver down my spine and the butterflies flying all through my stomach. “Matt, you’re the best!”

“Yes, I really needed to hear that,” he answered with a satisfied smile on his beautiful face.

Because he was. Matt was so beautiful, in a classy-innocent way. He is that kind of guy who can make you fall for him simply by smiling at you. And he was so damn attractive. But it didn’t mean I was in love with him or something like that. Or that I felt attracted to him. Because I was not attracted to him. Well, maybe a little bit. But who wouldn’t feel attracted to him? You could only observe every waitress who looked at him like she’d do… anything for and to him. It’s really annoying and disturbing to have girls eating Matt with their eyes.

“You’re a great friend, Matt!” I told him finally pulling back from his embrace.

“Friend…” he paused, and then continued with a bitter smile, “Of course I am. Everything is great about me, Miss West. I’m just waiting for you to figure that out,” his smile turned into a smirk that was so usual to him.

I smiled and nodded, taking the hot cup of coffee in my hand again. Leaning his head to the side, the sunshine touching his face gently, he sighed profoundly.

* * *

 Well, I hope you'll like this new chapter and that you'll comment/vote/ Fan/ tweet or anything...

I wanted just to say that this has nothing to do with "50 shades of Grey", with all the rumors about Matt Bomer as Christian, and they were a lot saying that Emma'll be Anastasia... I started this story in my native language about a year ago, and I had no idea Fifty Shades existed...

I hope you are enjoying this, and you'll make me really happy if you'll comment... Thank you all!

----------

All Rights Reserved.